?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 111 Squadron Nightfighting Spitfires Information required  (Read 2859 times)
MichaelDrover

« on: May 28, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »

Hi all,

As a first time poster on this forum I hope you guys can help me.

A friend of mine is currently building me a 1/48th Tamiya Spitfire Vb in 111 Squadron markings ie. black...all over. The aircraft he is building for me is an Australian piloted machine JU*O. We've managed to find that the red coded aircraft (which this one is) had the 18" fuselage roundels with them being located on the fuselage of the aircraft only.

The predicament we have is the size and position of the fin flash for these aircraft. We have information (annnecdotal so far) that the fin flash was hard against rudder hinge line at the base of the fin. Can anyone confirm this or provide an alternative marking with supporting evidence either image or text reference of the position and size of the fin flash on these aircraft???

The aircraft is painted and decaled and all we are waiting on is this information.

We look forward to your assistance.

Thanks all

Michael Drover
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »

111 Squadron Spitfire nightfighters carried no roundels on the wings, but standard roundels and codes (in grey) on the fuselage, and standard fin flashes. In Feb 1942 altered markings of smaller size were introduced. Roundels were of the 'C' type.Don't know if they made the fin flash smaller They may have just had a narower white stripe. It is normal for the fin flash to 'hard up against the rudder hinge line'. If they followed the same practice as Hurricanes they woulf be 18 inch square with two inch wide white stripe.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:47:37 PM by Antoni » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length