?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mk IX Carburettor Intake  (Read 8524 times)
GregW

« on: June 05, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »

Hello all,

My first post and a request if I may. I'm in the process of modelling an early Mk IX Spitfire for a computer game and I'm looking for good references for the shorter carburettor intake in particular. The technical drawings which I have are for the later Mk IX variants with the larger aero-vee intake. I have searched the net and found a few photos but nothing with the kind of detail I require. If anybody knows of some good visual references for the early Mk IX and can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. I should also add that this is a non commercial project which I am doing in my spare time.

Thanks,

Greg
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »

I'm currently working on the drawings of the early IX with this type of intake, and I think I might be able to help you, just need to produce some close-ups of the intake to post here. It may take a day or two.

/Martin
GregW

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »

Hi ,

Thank you for the quick reply. That would be a great help if you could. I'm in no big hurry so take your time. I actually started this project a while ago but put it on hold for lack of references.

Thanks again,

Greg
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »

Hope this drawing helps. This type intake is so un-documented that I had to collect a set of photos showing this intake to draw it. I think I'm got pretty close to the original shape, but after another look at the images I'd like to point out some uncertainties.

To begin with, most images show the aircraft with 30 gal tank on, obscuring the rear part of the intake. Secondly, some images seem to show its lower contour even more bulged. I believe there was a sump in this area which was made more pronounced to facilitate drainage when the a/c was on the ground. I'm still not sure if there were two different types of this fairing or just one.

Also, I spotted a photo of Mk. VII with yet another type of intake, a kind of straight-contour kinked pipe.

Perhaps anyone would have further information, still I hope this will help with your project.

/Martin
magnusf

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

Also, I spotted a photo of Mk. VII with yet another type of intake, a kind of straight-contour kinked pipe.

Perhaps anyone would have further information, still I hope this will help with your project.

/Martin

At least one version of the "square-and-ugly" intake was made in Italy or North Africa on unit level, it seems to have been installed to quite a few aircraft. I read about it in "American Spitfire Camouflage and Markings" by Paul Ludwig just this weekend. I'll have a look tonight for the details!

/Magnus
GregW

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »

Hope this drawing helps. This type intake is so un-documented that I had to collect a set of photos showing this intake to draw it. I think I'm got pretty close to the original shape, but after another look at the images I'd like to point out some uncertainties.

To begin with, most images show the aircraft with 30 gal tank on, obscuring the rear part of the intake. Secondly, some images seem to show its lower contour even more bulged. I believe there was a sump in this area which was made more pronounced to facilitate drainage when the a/c was on the ground. I'm still not sure if there were two different types of this fairing or just one.

/Martin

These drawings are superb, thank you very much indeed. The only close up photos I've seen are the ones with the 30 gal tanks which you mention. I've also had a look at some modelling sites such as Hyperscale (knowing how seriously these guys take their art) and of the early Mk IXs I found there were quite a few variations in the shape of the intake. I think your drawings look right going by the very limited sources of information available. The underside view is particularly useful to me as I had been trying to guess how the intake tapers to the rear. Anyway, this shape looks right to me and makes sense as one can see how the aero-vee would have evolved from this design. I'm happy to continue with my project now so many thanks for your help.

Greg.

Antoni

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »

The intake naked. Mk VII EN474, National Air and Space Museum Washington DC,  is I think the only surviving Spitfire with this type of intake. 
Antoni

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »

In the Mediterranean some F.IXs were fitted with the ‘Aboukir’ type tropical filter originally developed for the Mk V. This F.IX also has ‘high-altitude’ pointed wingtips fitted.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

Another type of filter fitted in the Mediterranean was an American invention. Less sophisticated than the Aboukir it consisted of a box-shaped device fitted to the of the standard air intake. It seems to have only been fitted to Spitfires of the 31st and 52nd  Fighter  Groups   USAAF.
magnusf

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »

Another type of filter fitted in the Mediterranean was an American invention. Less sophisticated than the Aboukir it consisted of a box-shaped device fitted to the of the standard air intake. It seems to have only been fitted to Spitfires of the 31st and 52nd  Fighter  Groups   USAAF.

Antoni! Thanks, that was the one I thought about. And I was wrong as well: It obviously is NOT the kind of intake that Martin was looking for in the thread above.

/Magnus
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

The RAF Museum has a drawing, in the library, on microfilm, of a Mk.IX intake; the drawing no. is 36138 SHT 5, and the museum's reference is MAC2703.  They can print up to A2 size, so you should be able to get a better idea of what it was all about.  It seems to have been a modified housing; why, and when, I can't read on my computer.  If anyone would like a copy for their computer, just let me have an E-mail address.
Edgar
NateW

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

Hello,

I have that drawing and have tried to attach it, but can't due to it's size. Any ideas? There must be a way for me to shrink it, but I'm not that computer savy.
If you pm me, I'm sure I could send it via regular email.

Nate

Editor
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »

Thanks to a photocopy of the drawings provided by Edgar (many thanks!) I have decided to revise my drawings. It would seem that the intake was somewhat deeper and placed more to the rear than I originally thought. So here is the new version.
GregW

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:07:28 AM »

Thanks to a photocopy of the drawings provided by Edgar (many thanks!) I have decided to revise my drawings. It would seem that the intake was somewhat deeper and placed more to the rear than I originally thought. So here is the new version.

I think you've got it spot on with this revised drawing. Nice work.

Greg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length