?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marking on tail  (Read 5054 times)
hilllaguna

Email
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:26:20 AM »

Mostly seen on the top of the rudder, and sometimes additionally on the vertical,  (sometimes else where but not as often) there is often a letter W and a letter T in a dashed box. Can someone tell me what this stands for or what it marks?  If any one has a good image of what I am referring to, i would appreciate being referred to it.  This mark appears on other British and Aussie a/c.
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

W/T = Wireless Telegraphy (although, in the factory, some thought that it meant "wired throughout")  It was an inspection stamp, mostly found on non-metallic areas, to show that the unit had been tested for a proper circuit, if there was an elecrical item (like a tail light, on the Spitfire's rudder.)  If there was a tendency for the item to have a short circuit, the interference could play havoc with the radio.  At least that was what I was told.
Edgar
dragoonpvw

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »

Well luckily the pople in the factory were right as far as I know. The stamp shows that a wire discharge  line is attatched, therefore "wired throughout"
 The W/T marking show that the AID ( Aeronautical Inspection Directorate) have verified the electrical bonding of the metal parts. This took the form of wire connections to prevent the build up or sudden discharge of static electricity and the consequent risks of radio interference or fire.
 That is why it is on so many places not close to electrical accessories.
 good luck
 Paul
hilllaguna

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:34:05 AM »

You guys are great, those were both very informative posts.  Now, does anyone have are really good image of one so that I might create a stencil for it? I would appreciate an image, or a link to someplace where I can get a really good look at one so I get this right. Most of the images that I see, by the time I enlarge it well enough to see this detail well enough to get it right, don't hold together well enough for me to see the font or details of it.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »

If you wait for another few days, I will post my rendition.
It should be noted that there were may types of stencils, an the variation among these was rather great - in size, style of lettering etc.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »

Here is the fragment of one of my profiles with W/T stencil, rendered from photos. The style and placement conforms to 1943 CBAF Mk. IX production. Hope this helps.

/Martin
hilllaguna

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:20:30 AM »

That is really helpful, and also gives me a sense of scale, besides the font choice which I think I can duplicate well. Really appreciate the effort and time for you to put this up for me.  Brian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length