?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Birth of a Spitfire!  (Read 2180 times)
NZTyphoon

« on: July 06, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »

I was hunting around in the local library the other day for information about Lord Beaverbrook when I discovered a copy of a 1941 book Birth of a Spitfire!; this describes the Spitfire and how Beaverbrook set up the Spitfire fund. There is just a smidgen of propaganda:
Germany had been building machines for a year at the rate of at least 2000 a month - probably more. Fortunately the majority of these were now on the verge of being obsolete. The Ju 88 was a poor affair, and the Messerschmitt 109 was absolutely no match for our fighters.
and a lttle poke at the poor old Hurricane
The Squadron Leader put his cap on the side of his head and we strolled out to his machine..."That's one of our next station's Spitfires," he said, nodding at the machine racing over. "Yes, I think it must be the name that caught on. It gives the Jerry something to think about. You can hear them shouting to each other in the air 'Spitfieren!, Spitfieren! Achtung! Achtung!'" "The word 'Hurricane' doesn't seem to strike the same note," he added, perhaps wistfully...

The Buffalo I is described as "A fast Fleet Air Arm fighter"; the Fulmar was "A Fairey machine which has been nicknamed the "Spitfire" of the Navy.

The first date of issue from this library was 9 October 1941 - meaning that for a book published in 1941 it got to NZ in a good time. The last date of issue was 24 June 1943. Next date of issue (according to library records)? 5 July 2009! As a time capsule it's priceless.  Grin
stevehnz

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »

The Buffalo I is described as "A fast Fleet Air Arm fighter"; the Fulmar was "A Fairey machine which has been nicknamed the "Spitfire" of the Navy.

The first date of issue from this library was 9 October 1941 - meaning that for a book published in 1941 it got to NZ in a good time. The last date of issue was 24 June 1943. Next date of issue (according to library records)? 5 July 2009! As a time capsule it's priceless.  Grin

The powers that be obviously thought people would believe anything in those days, the scarey thing is they often seemed to believe it themselves. Nice find too that, the sort that brings a wee tinge of jealously to the surface. Grin
Steve.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length