?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 2054 times)
James Hastings

Email
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

I have a collection of various items related to the Spitfire, Supermarine and the Castle Bromwich plant that I have acquired from my deceased grandfather. He worked for Supermarine before the war and was sent up to Castle Bromwich as Senior Groundstaff. I have a variety of things, including many photos of spitfires, lancasters, inside the flight sheds etc, Rolls Royce merlin engine manuals, aeronautical engineering manuals, blueprints for the various sections of the Harvard, telegrams and letters from and too the Ministry of Aircraft Production, ID cards, a flare pistol (in legally registered storage), and even the propellor from a Hawker Tomtit (which I believe Alex Henshaw used to use to fly between home and the plant). I also have one of his flight test logs from his time at supermarine which from the code numbers suggests it is to do with test flights of flying boats such as the Sunderland and Southampton but cannot be sure. I would like help from people who know more about these things to try to make more coherent sense of it all such as names to faces in photos, ID of some of the spitfire photos that are not already marked etc and to know if anyone has any information about Supermarien before the war and Castle Bromwich that might provide a fuller picture for me of what my grandfather did. I can scan the photos of take pictures of the other items as required.
gingerbob

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »

Hi James,

I'd be happy to help, and extremely interested in some of the photos/documents you have!  But it sounds like a pretty big project, depending on the volume you have.  If you'd like you can e-mail me at gingerbob@yahoo.com

bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length