?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire Vb wreckage pieces - can anyone identify them?  (Read 2328 times)
KlingonBatleth
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could identify where from a Spitfire these parts of wreckage are from?

I have done archaeology work over the years and have received these small pieces of a Spitfire Vb that crashed in 1944.  Most of the wreckage was removed at the time of the crash, but the nose of the Spitfire went deep into the ground so some small pieces remain. I have seen many archaeology artefacts over the years, but never anything from a Spitfire so I am trying to find out more about this history of this particular plane, especially as I live by Castle Bromwich where they were made.

Most of the pieces are thick and slightly heavy metal, and the piece on the left is very thin and light with rivets through it. The largest piece is only 4 inches long. I am guessing they are from the fuselage but thats all I know, so I have attached a photo of them.

Many thanks,

Shaun.
Spits

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »

Hi,
With the pieces so small it is hard to place where they might go.The piece on the left the shape is an angle and the fuselage is full of these to attach the frames to the stringers and longerons.Any remnants of part numbers? Cool
KlingonBatleth
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »

No part numbers unfortunately, so I can only assume they are from the front of the fuselage considering the depth they were excavated from. Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length