?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi (Introductions)  (Read 9813 times)
Hamden

« on: August 02, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »

Hi

I've just joined and looking forward to my stay. I live in Dorset, UK but at presant am working in Alberta, Canada, my hobbies include model making and aviation photography. Most of my interest is taken by warbirds, the Spitfire being a particular favorite both real and in model form.
All the Best

Roger
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:08:59 AM by Editor » Logged
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »

Welcome onboard, Roger!   Smiley
tarkey

Mother was Greek. My Father met her in Athens WW2

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »

Hi

I did do a HELLO posting the day I joined but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere

HELLO again. I live in Suffolk and involved with the Martlesham Heath Aviation Society and Control Tower Museum

We are having an Open Day next Sunday 13th and you are all welcome
see poster below

http://mhas.org.uk/pg/displayimage.php?pid=155&fullsize=1

Tarkey

Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

Great idea to get to know each other a bit better. I have renamed this thread to "Introductions" and would like to encourage everybody to write something about themselves.

Now a few words about me.

I was born in mid-sixties (which makes me 40+) and like many children of my generation, became passionate about aviation through Airfix models. The first one I laid my hands on happened to be Spitfire IX in blister packaging with that artwork of Johnnie Johnsson's JE-J. Since that moment the Royal Air Force and the Spitfire in particular occupy a central place in my interest.

As it often happens, passion for modelling and history go hand in hand, and over the years I became seriously interested in in-depth research in the history of aviation and aircraftand amassed a respectable amount of literature. Actually, nowadays I'm more a historian than modeller, but the trend may well change again in the future Smiley

Educated and working as IT professional, I've been doing web publishing in my free time since 1998.

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, trying my best to stay updated (remotely) with the aviation scene in th UK.

/Martin
tarkey

Mother was Greek. My Father met her in Athens WW2

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »

OK  Great idea Editor
here is something about me

Interested in all Military subjects and in particular Aviation. Although I never was involved in military service I became interested thru members of the family. My father was in the RAF, 1940 until 1947,seeing foreign service in the Middle East and Greece with first of all Air Ministry Experimental Station 278 and then with 252 Squadron. AMES 278 was a mobile radar station which moved about just behind the fighting lines, and 252 Squadron which had Beaufighters.With 252 he moved to Greece and this is where he met my mother. Hence my unusual name, and Tarkey is only a nickname.
My grandfather on my Greek side was a Colonel in the Greek Engineers having retired in 1922. When the Germans invaded Greece he joined the resistance but was captured and after he and my grandmother and mother spent a month in prison in Athens he was executed. My Grandmother disowned my mother when she married my father in 1947, in England and along came little me.
I am a member of the Martlesham Heath Aviation Society and help with their Control Tower Museum. I sometimes wear an American Flyers uniform when at special occasions at the museum and other events. One of my regular duties is to look after the content of the MHAS website. This involves initially receiving all emails enquiries and if unable to deal with them myself to pass them on to the appropriate person.
I particularly like Spitfires, Lancasters and Mustangs, but I have have an interest in everything that flies.
I also like taking photographs of anything that takes my fancy mostly aviation subjects. My other interests include F1 and Dusty Springfield ( I have taken photos of her Live on stage as well )

G.Taylor

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »

Hello. I began 3D modelling about 3 years ago and have taken an interest in modelling the spitfire.
I'm 50 and have never been in the military.

My father was in the British Royal Scots Fusilers and fought in France 1944.
After, he became an aircraft appretice with Scottish Aviation Ltd.
He later moved to Canada  working for Avro until the program was shut down, then worked for Field Aviation at CFB Mountain View and later at CFB Trenton as an aircraft mechanic until his death in the mid 80's.

I'm currently in the process of 3D modelling my second spitfire, a hybrid, that I hope to use in short films. Because I'm not an expert on it there are areas of the structure I'm not sure about.
And the more I learn about it, the more detail/accuracy I hope to include.

If it's okay, can I post my progress and ask some structural questions as I go? Maybe in the Modelling forum?
I'm not sure if that's the place to post it.

And here's a few shots from a short film with my first model (although I made a lot of errors with that one)...

-Thanks.
One-Oh-Four

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:34:41 AM »

Hi,

My first post here. Found this site by Googling on some things about Spits I wanted to know as a plastic modeller. I'm Erik, born 1967 from the Netherlands. Very happily married with two sons and employed in rail transport.

My interest in aviation was sparked by my father who was a jet pilot in the Royal Netherlands Air Force. He started out as War Volunteer after the Liberation of the Netherlands to fight the Japanese. After his ship was derouted to Singapore for some time he found himself in the mess of Indonesia trying to free itself from the Dutch.He steadily rose through the ranks to become Squadron Commander of 311Sqn RNLAF, as the equivalent of Group Captain he commanded Leeuwarden AB, finishing his career as the equivalent of Air Commodore. Operationally he flew the F-84E and -G Thunderjet, F-84F Thunderstreak and the F-104G Starfighter (hence my log-in name). As you can see I'm fiercely proud of him!

My interest in the Spitfire started with Spitfire LF Mk. IXc MJ143 (flew as H-1 and 3W-1 with post-war 322 Sqn RNLAF)which is on display in the Military Aviation Museum (shows the history of the RNLAF as well as the history of the FAA of the Royal Netherlands' Navy). I've always loved the RAF camouflage scheme with those big Dutch roundels!

I'm in no way a historian or very well versed on the subject of Spitfires. Hope to learn a lot here and maybe be able to help someone else with info as my knowledge increases!

Cheers,
Erik
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:02:14 AM by One-Oh-Four » Logged

Editor
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »

Welcome onboard, Erik. Hope that you will enjoy your time at this forum.
dafatrman

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:19:48 AM »

My name is John Wesley Golden, born in Tyler, TX USA on December 12, 1986.  I will be 23 in four days.  I first started admiring the Spitfire at about 11 years old when I began watching the History Channel and all the shows about World War II.  It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life, let alone being an airplane, which has been my oldst interest in life.  I have been riding motorcycls for 6 years as of this coming February, and couldn't live without it, unless I had an MKII.....

Ride/Fly it like you stole it!
ferret_64

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »

Greetings from Germany: My 1st name is Martin, I was born in 1964 and I grew up close to a little GA airfield in the area of Nuernberg, northern Bavaria, so my affection for aircraft must be an early childhood thing. Also, my father was a "flakhelfer" in the latest stages of WW.II, sometimes telling about his experiences including Spits.
My interest for the Spitfire must have started around the age of 15 when I bought an 1/72 Airfix kit of the Spitfire MK.IX, painting it as Ezer Weizman┬┤s black and red "57" which perfectly brought out the fine lines of this fighter. I have been hooked ever since. Firstly because of the sheer beauty of this classic, later as I started read more about it, from an engineering point of view.
In 1983 I got my hands at Alex Henshaws "Flight of the Mew Gull" and "Sigh for a Merlin" which deepened my fascination for the Spit.
As a pastime I build cardboard models, mostly in 1/33 and mostly Spitfires, preparing the build of Spitfire MK.Va trop S/N ER570.
My favourite variants are the PR versions, especially the PR.XI.
Looking forward to the the airshow at Breitscheid / Germany on August 21 and 22, where Christophe Jacquard will be presenting his PR.XIX!

Yours, Martin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:16:38 PM by ferret_64 » Logged
Canberra Man

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »

Hi.
I was nine when the war started so I can remember when they were flyin'  and shootin'. I was 18 when I was called up for National Service, went in the Royal Artillery 3.7 Ack Ack.  Three months after demob I joined the RAF ended up on 617 Squadron and worked on Lincolns and later the Canberra.  We also did a detachment to Malaya for 6 months. I was 30 years with Air Cadets as a Warrant Officer.  I now help my wife breeding miniature poodles.

Ken
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length