?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buried Spitfire Engines  (Read 5059 times)
Joystick

« on: August 07, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »

Dear Sirs,

I have been researching particular places where WWII aircraft and aircraft parts were buried during and after the war.
I have dowsed many sites, but one in particular caught my interest, in which I believe I have found row after row of RR griffon and merlin v12 engines. I visited the site and using my deep search metal detector that will detect to a depth of 20 feet decided to scan just one of the trenches that has these engines inside. the rough measurements of the length and width seem to suggest that these engines where placed in rows about 1/2 metre apart. The depth is less than 20 feet, but what is surprising is the amount! I have estimated that there are at least 600+.  Now this land belongs to the council, and I was told that horses grazing in a field next door where poisoned when they eat the grass. An old man I met walking his dog confirmed to me that this area was an old WWII airfield, and he believed that many "nasties" were buried in the ground.
My question is this: These engines are technically contaminating the land too. I have spoken to the Dept of Environment, who told me that it is the duty of this council to clean up the two fields in question..
Now....If you knew what was potentialy buried in this field what would you do?
Who do the engines now belong too?  The council cant afford the dig all the nasties up out of the ground, unless the MOD pays towards the clean up cost of say £50-80,000. If these engines are where I believe they are, who would want them?  Do these engines now belong to the council or to the MOD?
The council know they have a problem, but think it will go away...it wont! Any suggestions please.
Spits

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »

Two guys I would talk to is over at the Flypast historical forum.Mk12 and Tangamear40.They are both very experienced and honourable in dealing with this sort of stuff.
Puddle

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »

Sorry to be newby numpty,
Has anything happened about this, like everyone else, if this turns out the way we hope then there'll be more 'music' in the air.
News, not specifics would be fun if nothing else.
Puddle
dafatrman

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:43:36 AM »

Hell, I'll dig 'em up for free, and KEEP THEM!!!  BWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

Ride/Fly it like you stole it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length