?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing A  (Read 10416 times)
Aleksander

Email
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »

I've just begin to make the model of Spitfire Mk IIa (Airfix 1/48) - and therefore I've got a problem with the "A" type wing - did the flash eliminator of third Browning was still jut from the wing ? I was looking on several photos of Mk I and Mk IIa, but all the gun holes were covered - I suppose that if it was juted, it would be difficult to glue the cover on it.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »

The flash supressors were only the feature of the earliest production Mk. Is. Later on, their use was discontinued, resulting in the No. 3 gun being entirely hidden within the wing. Thus there was no longer a problem with taping over the gun port.

Hope this helps,
/Martin
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

Thank you lot  - now I can build another Spitfire (this time RFoW from 303rd Sqn - Kołaczkowski and Urbanowicz).
BTW - what was the color of wheel well and undercarriage under the black wing ? I was sure it's also black, but it looks more bright (Sky ?, Interior Green ? Silver ?) on photos
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »

Most untouched wheel wells, that I've seen, were interior green.  If the black was brushed on, it's likely that the well remained green; if someone got a bit carried away with a spraygun, the well could have collected some black paint as well.  I recently read a book, by a former armourer, and he said that the flash eliminators were removed when the war started.
Edgar
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »

Thank you Edgar - at least one problem is dissolved  Smiley, and I will not make prominent Browning on my Spitfire.
As for the second problem - I think, in my particular Spitfire Mk IIa P8038, I will paint wheel wells interior green, as well as internal side of undercarriage covers. The wheel hubs - perhaps sky ?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »

Insides of wheel covers were supposed to be silver, wheel hubs, and u/c legs the same, but modellers forget (or don't know) that moving parts got regular servicing.  On legs, at least, this involved dunking the parts in paraffin, to remove any old oil or grease.  This would have played havoc with the paint, so a repaint would have been necessary, once the part had been reassembled.  If the fitter had silver paint, well and good, but, if not, he would have used whatever came to hand, especially if the part was needed in a hurry.
Edgar
DominikS

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »

Insides of wheel covers were supposed to be silver, wheel hubs, and u/c legs the same, but modellers forget (or don't know) that moving parts got regular servicing.
Edgar

Let me join this topic with one question about wing type "A". I'm working on BoB Spitfire with Sky undersides. Should I leave wheel wells IG?

Antoni

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »

Thank you lot  - now I can build another Spitfire (this time RFoW from 303rd Sqn - Kołaczkowski and Urbanowicz).
BTW - what was the color of wheel well and undercarriage under the black wing ? I was sure it's also black, but it looks more bright (Sky ?, Interior Green ? Silver ?) on photos

During this period the black paint used on the undersides of the port wing was DTD 441, a Matt Finish Distemper which could be applied by brush or spray. After drying at room temperature for two weeks it was to be readily removable with hot water leaving the surfaces uninjured.

Photographs of 303 Spitfires show some had the inside of the wheel doors painted black and some did not. If by RF*W you mean P8038 it was photographed both with and without the black wing. The only photograph of P8038 showing the whole aircraft is very blurred but it appears the undercarriage and inside the wheel doors were not painted black. The attached are stills I captured from a film clip. One Spitfire does not have the undercarriage/wheel doors painted black the other does. The wheel hubs on the second Spitfire do not look like they were painted black but there are some examples where this seems to have been done. E.g., N3059/RF*F and R6977/RF*A. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:23:07 PM by Antoni » Logged
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »

Thank you Antoni - the real problem is, that there are no good pictures of RF*W, so it is very difficult to find the proper color. Perhaps the choice of silver struts and hubs, interior green wheel wells and sky wheel doors would be more accurate for this particular plane. Or - all these parts in silver ? Or - all sky ?
As I see now, I've chosen another "easy" model which becomes a kind of a nightmare... :-)
Antoni

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »

On the starboard side the wheel hubs were silver. You have to make your own mind up about the legs and doors.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »

When the port wing was painted black the undercarriage looks like it ws the same as the starboard side.
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »

On the starboard side the wheel hubs were silver. You have to make your own mind up about the legs and doors.

Yes, but on this picture the bottom of this A/C is already painted all in Sky.
On the next picture the doors and undercarriage of the port side look bright - just like Sky or Silver (or - at least - Interior Green ?). But why should they paint Sky the undercarriage of the "black" side too ? Isn't it more understandable to paint it all Black as well, or leave it Silver (unpainted ?). Or maybe in OTU they've first painted wheel wells and undercarriage covers Interior Green, and then put Black on the bottom side of the wing ?
Antoni

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »

Port wings of Fighter Command aircraft were ordered to be painted black on 27th November 1940. On 7th April 1941 orders were issued that the black be removed as from 15th April. As I already explained the paint to be used was a temporary finish that could be easily removed with hot water leaving the original finish unharmed.

P8038 was allocated to 303 Squadron from an MU 13-1-1941 and went to 452 Squadron 18-5-1941. The blurred photograph was taken 4-4-1941 during a visit of the US ambassador. So P8038 would already have the port wing black when it joined 303 Squadron. The other photograph must have been taken in the last two weeks of April or first two weeks of May after the black paint was removed. The Spitfire was not repainted, the black paint was washed off to reveal the original factory applied finish underneath.
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »

Thank you again !  Smiley
Now I think, I know how should I paint paint my Spitfire - I hope I will show her soon !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length