?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Trop Spitfire w/clipped wings  (Read 3088 times)
Pickelhaube

Email
« on: September 07, 2009, 01:54:26 AM »

Hello Guys,

This is my first post.

Are there any pics out there of a Tropical Spitfire ( with Vokes filter ) clipped wings with American markings  ?

Thanks for the help.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »

Generally, all US Spitfires Mk. V serving in Africa/Sicily would have carried the Vokes filter. Finding one with clipped wings may be, however, a bit more difficlult. I'll look around in my dungeon.

One example of full-wing Vokes US Spitfire (meaning NOT one that you are asking for) is here.

http://www.spitfiresite.com/photos/historic/2009/07/friendly-fire.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:36:07 AM by Editor » Logged
Pickelhaube

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:18 AM »

Generally, all US Spitfires Mk. V serving in Africa/Sicily would have carried the Vokes filter. Finding one with clipped wings may be, however, a bit more difficlult. I'll look around in my dungeon.

One example of full-wing Vokes US Spitfire (meaning NOT one that you are asking for) is here.

http://www.spitfiresite.com/photos/historic/2009/07/friendly-fire.html

Thanks for the post. I have read that clipping the wing was a common thing to do. I want to make a model of one. So I think that there should be a few of them used but no pics.

It would help out a lot if you could dig one up.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »

I have looked through a set of photos available to me and, sadly, didn't find any clipped-wing US Mk. Vs in Africa. Which of course doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't exist Smiley
Pickelhaube

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »

I have looked through a set of photos available to me and, sadly, didn't find any clipped-wing US Mk. Vs in Africa. Which of course doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't exist Smiley

Thanks for trying.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length