?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hominis Vis Spitfire  (Read 5731 times)
jimlad74

Email
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »

Hi all,
First time poster here, always been enthralled by the Spitfire, in the air or on the ground, grew up going to several airshows in Yorkshire and have been lucky enough to be up close to the BBMF through a trip with an historic aircraft appreciation club that my father belonged to.
Anyway the reason for my post, about the Spitfire donated by the Hovis company in 1941, aircraft called Hominis Vis (Strength of Man, which is what Hovis stands for after translation from the latin).  Does anyone have any details?  I've managed to find it was given to No.401 (F) squadron on 7th Jan 1942, but that's about it.
As I work for the Hovis bread company here in the UK and I saw mention of the donation in the company history, and would like to find out more about the aircraft if at all possible?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

There's quite a paragraph, in "Gifts of War," by Henry Boot & Ray Sturtivant.  Excuse me , if I don't put it all on here (copyright, and all that Wink)  It was a Vb, R3776, flew with 91, 41, 401, 131, 610, 340 Squadrons, eventually SOC as CatE after colliding with a Martlet of 892 Squadron 25-8-43.  At some stage another Vb, R7334, originally named "Perfect," was renamed "Hominis Vis," but that one dived into the ground, and no-one seems certain when the re-naming took place.
Edgar
jimlad74

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »

Edgar, thank you for the reply and the further details, I'll follow up on your leads
cheers
James
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length