?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfires at Biggin Hill  (Read 4227 times)
kentishlass

Email
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »

Hi, looking for some guidance from those in the know.

I'm getting something made for my father who is a huge spitfire fan and whose business is based at Biggin Hill airport.  Can anyone give me an idea of what registration number to use on the model of the spitfire that's being made.  I'm looking for an aircraft that can be linked back to a squadron based at Biggin Hill during WWII and that is perhaps synonomous with the operations there. 

Any ideas much appreciated!
NZTyphoon

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »

By "registration number" I presume you mean serial number, eg: P8264 Spitfire IIa flown by a Flying Officer John Bisdee of 609 Squadron, based at Biggin Hill in May 1941. This Spitfire had the squadron code letters PR followed by the aircraft letter H. Photo archives of 609 Sqn at Biggin Hill can be found here.

A  famous unit based at Biggin Hill during the Battle of Britain was 92 Sqn (code letters QJ); one of  these was a Spitfire IA  K9998 aircraft letter G flown by Flight Sergeant Geoffrey Wellum.

In 1942 the Biggin Hill Wing (72 Sqn., 133 'Eagle Sqn., 340 Sqn. and 611 Sqn.)  C/O was Wing Commander Eric Thomas who flew a Spitfire IXC BR369; because he was a 'Wingco' he was able to use his initials EH-T rather than the usual squadron codes and aircraft letter. A Spitfire IX of 340 Sqn was BS393 GW-Z of Lieutenant Michel Boudier; a 611 Sqn Spitfire IX was BS435 FY-F flown by Australian Sqn Ldr Hugo Armstrong; another 611 Sqn Spitfire L.F IX was EN572 FY-H flown by New Zealander John Checketts.

These are just a few...
kentishlass

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

Many thanks NZTyphoon - very helpful.  You'll have to excuse my incorrect terminology! Grin
NZTyphoon

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »

Glad to be of help  Cool  The information came from two books by Alfred Price, who has written a lot about the Spitfire:
Spitfire I/II Aces and "Late Marque[sic] Spitfire Aces", which is also shown on that page. Another book  which will feature Biggin Hill based aircraft is his "Spitfire V Aces". A photo of a 611 Sqn Spitfire can be found in historic Spitfire photos

No problem about the terminology - aviation enthusiasts love their jargon!  Huh
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:57:23 AM by Editor » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length