?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undercarriage Indicator on Mk I ?  (Read 10340 times)
mhase

Email
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »

Hello Everybody,

as an enthusiastic scale-modeller with

a.  keen interest in British WW2-fighters javascript:void(0);
b.  more kits in my shelves I ever will be able to build  javascript:void(0);

I came accross this site. For an exhibition on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the BoB, we, a small group of interested scale modellers here in Nuremberg, Germany, are preparing models and dioramas of the then used British aircraft, e.g. the Spitfire, Defiant and the Hurricane, too.

Apart from the still difficult question of obtaining decent airfield accessories in 1/72nd-scale for early RAF-airfields, we try to get along with the different types in use with the Fighter Command in 1940. 

When discussing the models we recently came accross a question, which nobody could answer until today: During my visits to Duxford and Hendon I noticed - among other most interesting things - that the later Spitfire-models on exhibition there had red indicators on the upper side of the wings for the undercarriage. However I could not find any on the pictures I took from the Mk I´s there.

Can anybody clarify, if the MK I and/or IIa had the same indicators as I saw on the later built MK V etc.

Many thanks for a response   

Merry Christmas to all!!

Yours

Michael
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »

The indicator can be seen in this photograph of the first production Spitfire.
mhase

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »

Thanks a lot!!

Yours Michael
admin
Administrator

Martin W

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »

When discussing the models we recently came accross a question, which nobody could answer until today: During my visits to Duxford and Hendon I noticed - among other most interesting things - that the later Spitfire-models on exhibition there had red indicators on the upper side of the wings for the undercarriage. However I could not find any on the pictures I took from the Mk I´s there.

Can anybody clarify, if the MK I and/or IIa had the same indicators as I saw on the later built MK V etc.

Hi, Michael, I can gladly confirm that the undercarriage indicator pins were present already on Mk. Is.  The photographic proof should not be too difficult to come by.

The pin can be seen clearly on hi-resolution version of this photo. As shown here at the site, the pin can be barely seen in the enlarged view.
http://www.spitfiresite.com/photos/historic/2007/10/early-spitfires-of-no-611-squadron.html

Also, if this helps, the same pin clearly visible on a Mk. II. As is known, Mk. II was the basically same airframe as Mk. I.
http://www.spitfiresite.com/photos/historic/2008/12/sqnldr-donald-osborne-finlay.html

I have also a set of rather well-known 1940 Flight photos showing Mk. Is in various stages of ground servicing, an u/c pin is visible in all the relevant views.

Hope this solves the question. Merry Xmas.
/Martin
Graeme Smith

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »

Yep - Jeffrey Quill and Alex Henshaw both mention the pins in their books on all early marks and the complete lack of real need for them as the cockpit indicatior lights told the story.  But the pins were apparently retained because the pre war pilots - not used to retracting undercarrigaes needed more persuasion than the lit indicator as to the real position of the gear!
NZTyphoon

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

I was recently given a genuine A.P 1565 G & H P.N Pilot's Notes For SPITFIRE Mark F.VII - Merlin 64 or 71 Engine; Mark F.VIII - Merlin 63, 66 or 70 Engine (Air Ministry December 1943) .On page 10, sect 14 "Undercarriage Indicators" is paragraph

(b) Mechanical position indicators - A rod that extends through the top surface of the main plane is fitted to each undercarriage unit. When the wheels are down the rods protrude through the top of the main plane and when they are up, the tops of the rods, which are red, are flush with the main plane surface.

I used to believe that the undercarriage rods were omitted from Spitfire VIIs, VIIIs IXs and all other late Marks but darned if I wasn't wrong! Angry Ah well, I prefer learning something new! Cheesy

Incidentally (and slightly OT) the VII and VIII were still fitted with the undercarriage warning horn - again, I thought this device had been omitted by 1943.
denistof

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:53:32 AM »

Regarding RAF airfield equipment, Michael, go to;

http://home.clara.net/djparkins/fltpath/fpmaster.htm

David Parkins has some very good items in this range. Mostly Photo-Etch but it is not difficult to solder together.

denistof
mhase

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »

Hello and many thanks,

Sorry for not having replied earlier!!

I already bought some of the Flightpath items as well as Matador models.

Yours

Michael
gingerbob

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »

I used to believe that the undercarriage rods were omitted from Spitfire VIIs, VIIIs IXs and all other late Marks but darned if I wasn't wrong! Angry Ah well, I prefer learning something new! Cheesy

It appears that the indicator rods WERE deleted for a short period, but then reinstated.  If I remember right the comments that I'm thinking of pertained to XIV production.  If I happen to run across specific references I'll update this.

bob
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »

The indicator rods were deleted, on the V, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII, and XIII, as mod 931, and Seafires Ib, IIc & III, as mod 163, from August 1944.  The XIV gets no mention, which could mean that they were not meant to be included from the start.
Edgar
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length