?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: AZmodel Spitfire Mk.1 "Early"  (Read 26061 times)
magnusf

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

I've been a bit slow updating lately, I have concentrated on modelling instead of the computer!

I've come to seriously dislike masking RAF camo. This is an idea that I have had in my mind for some time (and I might have tried it before at some point but I don't remember...). I brush paint the demarcations and then fill in with the airbrush. I am quite happy with the result, the brush painting got a bit thick in some places but with practice and care I think it can be avoided in the future.

And this is what the final result looks like after a bit of touch-ups here and there!

The main attraction of the scheme: the-night-and white lower surfaces! White is well, white, but with a drop of black and a drop of brown added. Black is the other way around: Black with white and brown added. This gives an effect that is a bit softer than pure black and white. It will get a set of silver ailerons and elevators just to add to the enjoyment factor...

I painted around the wing roots, engine panels and gun bays with GW "Mithril silver" to simulate wear. I then "dotted" over Maskol before painting the rest of the camouflage. I think the wear and tear got a bit too heavy but it will be easy to adjust it during the weathering stage.

Hope to be back a bit sooner next time!

Photos seem to be on holiday but I am convinced they will be on-line in a few hours!

Best regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:28:20 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 11:57:22 PM »

Decals are on and some weathering and touch-ups have been done!

Decals worked very well, nothing to complain about there!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:28:10 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:52 PM »

I have made an almighty mess of that canopy! I never got the one I made myself to fit properly and frankly I was so fed up with messing around with casting and vacuum forming that I went ahead with the rest of the model instead. Without any solution in sight for the canopy problem!

Well, here I am now. With a quite good-looking (if I may say so myself) Spitfire without a canopy. Quite useless actually!

I managed to make the rear glazing by bending a piece of heated plastic over the spine and I also managed to glue it in place almost without ruining any of the paintwork. The main canopy and windscreen were then stolen from the Aeroclub Spitfire Prototype conversion. This will not render an exactly correct windscreen but since the alternative is no windscreen at all this will have to do. Bah!

Neverneverneverevertrytoattachcanopiesafterpainting. As if I didn't know already Sad

Hope to be back soon in a more positive mode!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:28:01 PM by magnusf » Logged
al49

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:52 PM »

I have made an almighty mess of that canopy! I never got the one I made myself to fit properly and frankly I was so fed up with messing around with casting and vacuum forming that I went ahead with the rest of the model instead. Without any solution in sight for the canopy problem!

Well, here I am now. With a quite good-looking (if I may say so myself) Spitfire without a canopy. Quite useless actually!

Magnus

Hello,
if you sorted-out your canopy issue it's fine, otherwise you can have a look here:
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=sq9123&Submit3=Go
may be it helps.
BR
Alberto
magnusf

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »

Thanks Alberto but that one won't help, The Squadron canopy is for a later, armoured, style of windscreen. Look at the photo below for the style I need:

There is a Falcon set that includes this but I didn't feel like waiting for it and I felt confident that I could solve the problem on my own. Well, if I had ordered the canopies last November they would surely have been here by now even if they had been travelling from NZ. And when it came to solving the problem on my own, we all know how well that went Smiley !

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:27:49 PM by magnusf » Logged
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »

If you're still thinking of the Falcon set(s), try The Aviation Hobby Shop, in West Drayton; during a (sort of) tidy-up, they found that they have a very large stock of them.  At the moment, of course, they're struggling to get items despatched, due to the weather, but they're normally very quick.
Edgar
magnusf

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »

Sorry friends, this one will never get finished. Canopy came loose for the third time tonight and I decided it has already stolen too much modelling time so I binned it. Sorry!

As for the AZ models early Spitfires: don't buy them until they have fixed the canopies!

Magnus
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length