?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle of Britain Spitfire Color Schemes  (Read 12914 times)
isaac94622

Email
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »

Hi!

I have a question in regard to Spitfire Mk.I's and II's that took part in the Battle of Britain, and thought here was the best place to reach for an answer.

In the movie Battle of Britain, the Spitfires are painted in earth tone/dark green camouflage. But while visiting the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, I noticed the Spitfire they have there (an Mk.I I believe) is painted in a dark green/lighter green camouflage scheme. I was told this particular spit took part in the Battle of Britain and actually retains its original paint.

Which is the accurate color scheme used by Spitfires during the Battle of Britain?

Thanks so much!
NZTyphoon

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 07:33:49 AM »

Hi Issac, welcome to Spitfire Forums and the Spitfire Site. The Spitfire I at the Chicago Museum of Science and industry was first  operational on 9 July 1940 after being transferred to 74 Sqn. On July 10 Pilot Officer P C F Stevenson shot down a Bf 109E and later in the day damaged another, along with damaging two Bf 110s. One of the pilots who flew P9306 was "Sailor" Malan. This Spitfire also destroyed a Bf 110 on 10 August 1940.

Re the colour scheme: the current scheme is definitely not Battle of Britain vintage! P9306 was used extensively by various MUs and OTUs fro 17 September 1940 through to August 1944 when she was shipped to Chicago via New York. The scheme in which she now appears is definetly not the standard B of B Dark Earth/Dark Green scheme; instead, at some time during this lengthy post-B of B career P9306 was repainted, more than likely in the standard from mid-1941 Ocean Grey/Dark Green/ Medium Sea Grey scheme.

Presumably the Light Green to which you refer is in fact Ocean Grey which has changed slightly over 70 odd years to look more like a light green. BTW The roundels date from mid 1942 when the A (lower wings),  A1 (fuselage) and B type were converted to C (lower wings) and C1 (fuselage) type.
isaac94622

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »

Thanks! Very informative. Wasn't aware Sailor Malan flew that aircraft. And thanks for clarifying re:color scheme! I personally prefer the earth/green scheme over the later camo variants.
NZTyphoon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 02:47:46 AM »

No problem  Smiley ; the information, BTW, came from  The Battle of Britain: Then and Now  Vol V page 709 (Winston Ramsay (ed); Battle of Britain Prints 1989) Another scource is here Unfortunately the entry for P9306 is misleading because this Spitfire shot down a Bf 109 (was not "shot down by"!!) on 10-7-40. I will contact the site owner and get him to correct this...

Cheers

J W
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length