?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Tamiya Mk. IX into a Mk. Vc  (Read 4769 times)
Wayne Kohlmann

« on: November 24, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this site for some time but have never posted before.  I don't know a lot about Spitfires but I'm trying to learn and hope to receive some advice from those of you who know more about this aircraft than I do.  I have been gathering reference material which, hopefully, will assist me to build an accurate RAAF Mk. Vc.   I was intending to modify Hasegawa's 1/32 scale Mk. Vb kit but now, like most of you, I've got my eye on Tamiya's new Mk. IXc kit.  My question is, how difficult would it be to convert the Mk. IXc kit into a Mk. Vc?   My thoughts are to graft everything forward of the firewall from the Hasegawa kit onto the Tamiya kit.  Presumably, I would also have to replace the Tamiya kit's oil cooler and radiator housing.  What else, if anything, would I need to do to this kit to produce a pretty accurate Mk Vc?   As an aside, can anyone also direct me to some nice reference photos of the Mk. Vc's oil cooler?    Thanks in advance.   
One-Oh-Four

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:16 AM »

Hi Wayne,

I think you're making it hard on yourself by attempting such a conversion! Besides the possibility that the Hasegawa nose might not fit too well on the Tamiya fuselage, you're faced with rescribing that nose to the same exquisite level as the Tamiya kit is finished! That will be hard! If you're not successful with it the rescribing it will simply not look good! Isn't it better to wait 'till Eduard issues a new-tool Mk.V? As far as I understand, they're planning to issue the "whole"family.

Good luck!
Erik.

Wayne Kohlmann

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »

Thanks for your reply, One-Oh-Four.  I realise there's quite a difference in the surface detail between the two kits - I guess I'm just pondering the possibility since the Tamiya kit looks so good and includes a C wing.  I had heard that Eduard intend to issue a Mk IX but hadn't heard the rumour that they might do a Mk.V.   We can only hope that the world is bombarded with a full range of newly tooled Spitfire kits!   Having said that, however, I'd be really happy if Hasegawa just re-tooled their existing kit.   

Cheers, 

Wayne     
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »

I will contradict 1-0-4 and sugegst that it could be a pretty easy conversion. Yes, the nose will have to be exchanged, and one of the radiators, but there's not much more to it, actually (except for some details - headrest, of four cannon barrels if that's your option).

The surface detail on the nose consists mostly DZUS fasteners, all rivetting in this area was done with flush rivets = barely visible.

The time spent on grafting the Hasegawa nose can be balanced against skiping the entire inner engine assembly of the Tamiya kit.

Hope this helps
One-Oh-Four

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »

Thanks for your reply, One-Oh-Four.  I realise there's quite a difference in the surface detail between the two kits - I guess I'm just pondering the possibility since the Tamiya kit looks so good and includes a C wing.  I had heard that Eduard intend to issue a Mk IX but hadn't heard the rumour that they might do a Mk.V.   We can only hope that the world is bombarded with a full range of newly tooled Spitfire kits!   Having said that, however, I'd be really happy if Hasegawa just re-tooled their existing kit.   

Cheers, 

Wayne     

Mmmm, maybe I got carried away.... I was of the assumption that Eduard was to issue the complete Spitfire family. Maybe I goofed and is it only the Mk.IX in it's variations? Sorry for the confusement.

NZTyphoon

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:37 AM »

hi Wayne,  before you start hacking into your lovely Tamiya kitset I would advise checking that the cross-section of the Hasegawa VB nose is even close to that of Tamiya's. Another potential problem is that the oil cooler fairing under the port wing of the Spitfire VC is a different shape, and larger than that of the VB so it won't be a simple matter of using Hasegawa's oil cooler as a direct replacement.

Just a though, but an easier conversion would be the early Rolls-Royce Hucknall converted Spitfire VCs - one of the best known of these was the Spitfire IX  BS237 (marked in error as BF237, which belonged to a Blenheim) flown by Plt Off Galitzine when he intercepted a Ju 86 at 40,000 + feet.
Wayne Kohlmann

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »

Thanks for the helpful advice, guys.  I am aware of the probable 'cross-sectional' issue associated with the forward fuselage of the two kits and would have to satisfy myself 100% that I could deal with this problem before cutting any plastic.   I'm still trying to find reference photos etc... of a Mk. Vc's oil cooler, so any further assistance in this respect would be greatly appreciated.  Finally, I now realise I should have posted this thread in the 'Modelling' section of the forum.  Thanks, once again, everyone!

Cheers,

Wayne
(Melbourne, Australia)     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length