?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the best books for early spitfire modellers?  (Read 8712 times)
micky

Email
« on: November 27, 2009, 01:18:24 AM »

Hi again, I was in the process of buying the Aero Detail #8: Spitfire Mk.I-V from hobbylink in Japan, and before going ahead I tried to find out if it was worth getting. Does anyone in this forum have a copy and would they please let me know is it any good? I have a few books including the modeller's datafile Spifire Pt 1 which is very good, so is the aero detail book worth having. Has anyone got a favourite book?
magnusf

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »

It does of course depend a bit on what you are looking for but if I was allowed to pick just one book, I would go for Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 12; Spitfire Mark I/II Aces 1939-1941.

It has a mix that I like of in service photos, very good text, scale drawings and colour profiles at a very reasonable price. The only thing lacking are museum detail photos for the super detailer of the kind that you will find in an Aero Detail book (I don't have that one but I do have others so I know the format). If I already had the Modeller's Datafile I wouldn't bother with the Aero Detail book!

Best regards

Magnus
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:25:17 AM »

For intimate details of airframes, the Aerodetail series is one of the best; I have those on the VI-XVI, and Griffon Spitfire versions, and the level of detail, and quality of photograhy, is superb.  I've been looking for the volume on the earlier version, so I'll be joining you in ordering a copy from HLJ for myself.
Edgar
micky

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »

Thank you both, Edgar,the aero detail No 8 costs £19.44 for the book and another £6.57 to send by surface mail from HLJ. It was the airframe detail I was after. I did use to own the book, Dutch Spitfires- a technical history, which though only for the Mk9 and Mk14 did give you each fuselarge frame in detail, but I can't find or purchase this book for a reasonable price.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »

I'll second Edgar and say it's a good book. All text is in Japanese with, IIRC, picture captions in English

- Lots of colour detail photos
- Some detail drawings from Spitfire manuals, plus own sketches
- Some (not many) colour profiles
- Fine section with period b/w photos, these are not many but finely printed
- Scale drawings of Mk. I & V

I remember cross-checking their scale drawing, and discovered that Aerodetail drawings are rather less accurate than those found in other books (evem Datafile).

As a modelling resource, this book is just fine. If it adds much beyond the Datafile is a matter of preference.
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »

Other tips could be

Supermarine Spitfire Mks 1 to V by Peter Caygill - simple but informative
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supermarine-Spitfire-Mks-Combat-Legends/dp/1840373911/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259321991&sr=1-5

Supermarine Spitfire I/II by Wojtek Matusiak  - limited only to Spit I/II used by Polish Pilots, but superbly illustrated and researched. Colour profiles but no scale drawings.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/products/isbn/9788389450555/Matusiak-Wojtek/Supermarine-Spitfire-III/

micky

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »

Thank you Editor, May I ask, who makes the most accurate scale drawings for the MK1 then please
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »

Until Arthur Bentley produces his set, I'd still go for the old George Cox drawings, which were in Scale Models, April, 1971.  Reference no. is 2896, and they're available, at £7, from My Hobby Store.  www.myhobbystore.com will get you started, and you'll find that getting into the Line Drawings section can be "interesting."
Edgar
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »

Yeah, how about Arthur Bentley. Last time I checked his site he still only got the outlines of various Spitfire marks, it would be great if his project progresses beyond this stage.
al49

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

Hi again, I was in the process of buying the Aero Detail #8: Spitfire Mk.I-V from hobbylink in Japan, and before going ahead I tried to find out if it was worth getting. Does anyone in this forum have a copy and would they please let me know is it any good? I have a few books including the modeller's datafile Spifire Pt 1 which is very good, so is the aero detail book worth having. Has anyone got a favourite book?

Hi,
here following my opinion on Spitfire books I managed to have:
  • Modellers Datafile Part 1 - Difficult to buy because it's out of print. I found it on e-bay and paid something like 50 Euros, but worth the money. It covers the full story of Merlin powered Spitfires with a lot of details and many suggestions on painting schemes. A bit disappointing if you are a modeller, like myself, looking for specific details. There are many colour pictures but they are too small. Artworks are nice bat only partial.
  • Burindo Famous Airplanes of the World no. 102 is quite inexpensive (even getting it from Japan), has a lot of photographs and it's very good if you look for an idea on how to finish your model, but text is in Japanese only and details are very few, so not the best for a modeller looking for details.
  • I tried to purchase Aero Detail no. 27 but apparently is very difficult to find. On e-bay there is one offered for 71 Euros!!! I found one on download that, beside being illegal, it's also a bad scan! I will keep searching because it seems a good book.
  • Even if specifica for PR Spitfires, the best book I found, also considering value per money, is Classic Warbirds No. 11 from Ventura Publications. In 64 pages you will find a lot of pictures, sketches and drawings

Hope the above will be of some help.
Alberto[/list][/list]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length