?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire mkIX mk805 replica  (Read 9168 times)
simplyspitfire

« on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »

Hi everyone i am pretty new to all this so you might have to bear with me. I am posting some pictures of my dads on going project building his mk IX spitfire. This is a full scale replica and has been made with alloy skins all hand rivetted as on a real spit. It has been made as a non flyer but he has used orignal drawings to build it so the overall result is like a real spit minus the engine. I am currently in the process of finishing a few minor bits, as over the summer i have finished spraying the wings. We are hoping to launch the spitfire to the public this spring but i have added a few pictures just to show how much time and effort my dad has put in to this and i think it about time he took some credit for his work. It has taken him over 20 years, and here she is back in the summer. Alot more has been done since this but the next time we release some more pics we are hoping she will be finished. The spitfire will also be available for hire after the release in the spring.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:05:53 PM by simplyspitfire » Logged
Sopwith

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »

Hi Simplyspitfire,
                         I must say the photos of your Dad`s Spitfire replica look fantastic.He must be a very patient man sticking at it for 20 years.Fantastic, look forward to seeing the next set of photos.Thanks
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »

Shocked The sheer magnitude of your undertaking is completely beyond me. Stunning!

We're glad to have you onboard this forum, please keep us updated on your progress, and can we have more photos please.

Warmest congratulations to a splendid effort.
simplyspitfire

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »

many thanks for your comments , more pictures arriving soon ,steve
fozman

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »

Cani ask why you chose this particular Spitfire? It looks like your're decalling it as Peter John III as it was flown by Flt Lt Tony Cooper when based at Harrowbeer.

I met Tony - really great guy - whilst I was researching one of his comrades - Flt Lt John Harder - who was held as a PoW

Regards
Colin
fozman

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:44:05 AM »

... also, where is the Spitfire stored & is it on display to public?

Cheers
Colin
simplyspitfire

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »

hi colin, yea this is peter john III and is based on tonys aircraft, he lives only half a mile away from us and is a great friend of my father. unfortuantly i can not say any deatils to where as we are keeping the spitfire, due to it being a private workshop but we will be putting it on display in the spring regards steve
simplyspitfire

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »

hi just a couple more pictures to add.
fozman

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »

hi colin, yea this is peter john III and is based on tonys aircraft, he lives only half a mile away from us and is a great friend of my father. unfortuantly i can not say any deatils to where as we are keeping the spitfire, due to it being a private workshop but we will be putting it on display in the spring regards steve

So Tony will know about it, then! I sent him an email last night to make him aware... also copied in John Harder's son as well.

I met Tony a couple of years back when my son & I visited him to show him some of Harder's photos, letters & logbooks which had been lent to me & we spent a few wonderful hours with him looking through his memorabilia & listening to him talk about his wartime experiences... absolutely brilliant & priceless!

Actually, just a thought, I've a couple of pieces of a Mk IX Spitfire that I'm trying to identify... they came out of a field in France where John Harder's plane crashed. they've an interesting rivet pattern to them (as well as some shape that has survived the impact) & wonder whether how easy to identify they would be?

We visited the RAF museum at Hendon in July with them on our way back from France but were unable to ID exactly as they only have a MkV & Mk22 ('though we had a great time crawling over them looking for a match Grin

I can email separately the photos if you'd like?
Regards
Colin
simplyspitfire

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »

hi colin, tony is aware of us making his spitfire but doesnt know it is quite this close to being finished as my dad has worked all hours of the day over this year to get it near finished.He said he would be more than happy to have a look at the parts for you and hopefully be able to tell you what they are, regards steve
fozman

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 01:54:36 AM »

Hi Steve,
Tony has a better idea, now, as I told him about these postings  Grin

As to the photos, do you have an email address that I can email them to? Alternatively, drop me an email at
colinsfoster-AT-gmail-NO-dot-SPAM-com
dafatrman

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:31:41 AM »

Truly beautiful.....  Completely awe-inspiring.  And over 20 years?  My, my.  It is making my dream seem impossible.  But, I am only 23, so if I slow the drinking, smoking, and the motorcycles, maybe I have enough time.

Ride/Fly it like you stole it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length