?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72 Airfix Spitfire pair - IX and XIX!  (Read 36619 times)
magnusf

Email
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »

Here we go again - two more Spitfires bypassing the build que!

This will be a twin thread detailing the builds of those two Airfix kits. To set the record straight from the beginning: as far as I can see those have nothing in common with any earlier products from Airfix of any other manufacturer. They are completely new releases.

For a look what's in the box of the Mk XIX, have a look here.
The Mk IX has been reviewed on this site here. Actually the very kit I am building, thanks Martin!

The kits are quite different. In an ideal world, the best parts from each of them merged together in one kit would mean an excellent Spitfire. What we get now are two perfectly acceptable kits. They aren't great in any way but pricing is very competitive and they certainly have their strengths!

The Mk IX is the weakest when it comes to detailing: there is no interior whatsoever in it. I have addressed this by making resin copies of various Spitfire bits and pieces I have in the scrap box, with a few bits of plastic stock I will get an acceptable interior! Since "Martin the Editor" who handed me the kit hails from Poland, I have no choice other than to build Stanislaw Skalski's aircraft which immediately results in another problem: Skalski's Mk IX had the early broad breech bulges on the wings while the kit has the more common narrow ones. Resin casting came to help with this one as well: I made silicone clay moulds from a Ventura kit (that comes with the broad bulges) and cast resin copies.

Silicone moulds and resin bits and pieces!

A set of breech bulges.

Wing modifications...

...and the finished wing!

Mk XIX interior, most parts from the kit but complemented with a resin instrument panel and etched seat belts. The seat really should be exchanged for something better, we'll see where it ends!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:26:28 PM by magnusf » Logged
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

You're a brave man, Mr. Fridsell, tackling two at the same time! Good job with the wing, the twin cannon bulges are just sooo correct in shape Smiley. Seriously,
I think you got them to fit in in incely. Is there any filler at the edges to blend them in, or just glue?

/Martin
marluc

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

Nice work so far Magnus,good idea of duplicating parts to improve the other kit.Greetings.

Martin
Miroslav

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »

Very nice and interesting presentation.
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »

Great job so far!
Antoni

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »

1.The 'other' option That’s not how MK392 actually looked, just the common fraud of changing the serial number of EN398 and adding black and white stripes.

2.I wouldn’t follow the illustration on the box. It was the practice on the PCT’s Spitfires to place ZX behind the roundel on the starboard side, sometimes obscuring the serial number.

Antoni

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »

3.EN315 was used by both Horbaczewski and Popek to score their fifth ace-making kills. The aircraft was more successful then any of its pilots achieving six kills, two probables and two damaged with five different pilots. It was flown by every PCT pilot and also by 145 Squadron’s A Flight Commander, F Lt Hesketh.  So much for it being Skalski’s Spitfire.

Note the missing caps from the cannon stubs. No, that’s not Skalski in the cockpit, it’s W Cdr Iżycki.
magnusf

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »

Thanks Antoni, very good information indeed! I'll start work in earnest on this one within a few days.

Regards

Magnus
magnusf

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

This thread has been quiet for a time now, time for a change!

Inside of Spit IX fuselage halves after trying to reach MAD-level (Minimum Acceptable Detail...) Smiley

And the XIX, this one is as it comes from the moulds!

Bits and pieces ready for priming...

...and after a serious airbrushing session!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:26:12 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »

A bit of colour livens things up! Cockpits have been painted...

...and both models very quickly completed! Some sanding and then it is primer-time!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:26:02 PM by magnusf » Logged
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »

According to your previous experience, wouldn't it be advisable to attach the canopies at this stage ?   Roll Eyes
magnusf

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »

Thanks for your advice Martin, I appreciate it  Grin !

I always apply one first coat of primer WITHOUT the transparencies since I know there is always more filling and sanding to do no matter how careful I think I have been!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:38:08 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »

Both kits flew through final assembly plant with a minimum of fuss, they have been primed and are now undergoing routine maintenance for the usual minor flaws always found after the first coat of primer has been applied!

Carburettor intake was modified on the Mk IX. The original kit part might be OK for the long version while the short version doesn't look like anything I have ever seen under the chin of a Spit! My interpretation is just that - an interpretation! It is very hard to find good photos of what this early intake really looked like, especially since the slipper tank that hides most of it seems to have been en vogue when the Spit IX was first introduced! On the contrary, there are innumerable good photos of the long intake!

Camera hatch didn't fit that well so I filled it in using superglue and will rescribe and drill a new opening in a hopefully more correct position (window is a bit high on the fuselage!). I also found some sink marks in the ailerons that I'll better fix before proceeding!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:25:26 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »

Fixing the camera hatch... If it had fitted better I think I would have left it the way it was but since I had to mess around with it anyway I could as well move it!

:-H

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:25:17 PM by magnusf » Logged
magnusf

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »

A bit more work before bedtime!

Rivets were a lot of work, and I'll have to do it on the Mk IX as well...

Fuel filler cap was a lot easier!

Regards

Magnus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:25:08 PM by magnusf » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length