Spitfire XIX finished as well!
I didn't really get the hang of the weathering on this one, most was done in one desperate session the evening before IPMS Sweden Open... Exhaust stains really went out of hand, I managed to tone them down a bit using light grey but it is still very obvious that some sloppy pilot have flown around with the wrong mixture settings...
And the traditional group photo...
The kits are not very similar even if they both come from Airfix and where released within a few weeks.
+ Quite nice interior.
- Heavier engraving than the Mk IX (but not excessively so).
- Camera port too high on the fuselage
- Anorectic exhaust stubs
- Useless Swedish AF decals and no stencilling included.
+ Very nice engraving and a "petite" feeling allover.
+ Perfectly useful decals with a complete set of stencilling.
- No interior whatsoever (Matchbox of the 70s would have been a leap forward...)
- Strange looking carburettor intake and wrong cannon bulges for one of the decal alternatives.
What they both got in common is good fit and a good "Spitfire feeling" - I will do more of them without doubt! My favourite was the Mk IX and the shortcomings aren't that hard to fix. And if you don't care about them they really aren't fatal either!
There are few more easy things worth doing on the next builds that would enhance the final result:
* Opening up the carburettor intakes on both kits
* Toning down the rib/fabric effect on the Mk XIX rudder and elevator
* Maybe use aftermarket canopies on both kits to get them a bit thinner
I will probably do some more work on them before the autumn show season (at least a Rebecca aerial on the Mk XIX and a rearview mirror on the IX) but this will do for now.
Thanks for all comments and for following this thread!