?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PR Spitfires  (Read 3796 times)
Jens

« on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

I am currently working on a Tamiya Spitfire PR. Ia, and I am trying to plan a couple of other PR Spit builds using the Airwaves PR. ID and Pavla conversions. My primary references are the Ventura book on Merlin PR Spits and the On Target Profiles 8 book, the latter being primarily used for inspiration as it contains mostly profile drawings.

I remember having an article about PR Spitfires once, but somehow I have managed to hide it somewhere really safe.  Undecided  IIRC it was from AIR International or AIR Enthusiast. The article contained several interesting pictures, drawings and descriptions, and I am looking for one drawing in particular. It showed the lower surfaces of several Merlin Spitfire PR variants including the camera positions.

Is there any chance that one of you know which article I am talking about? If so, would it be possible to get a scan of the drawing (I seem to remember that it was in the upper right hand corner on the right hand page).

Thanks in advance,

Jens Jensen

Jens Jensen
www.amarc.dk
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »

Yopu will find a lot of information in the newly published Classic Warbirds No. 11 Merlin PR Spitfires in detail, Malcolm Laird & Wojtek Matusiak. 
Jens

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »

Thanks Antoni, I have now ordered the book, and it ought to be in the mail by now.

Still, seeing the article again would be really nice...anyone?  Undecided

Regards,

Jens

Jens Jensen
www.amarc.dk
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »

I remember the article, but sadly, I don't recall the source exactly, and anyway, it's somewhere in the far corner of the attic Smiley

It was AIR Enthusiast, I believe; I also remember that roughly the same contents was repeated (or sourced from, depending which was first) one of Alfred Price books, The Spitfire Story.

Not much help to your question, but you asked for any recollection Smiley...
/Martin
NZTyphoon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »

Air International, June 1990,  "Precursor of the Blackbird: The Spitfire Mk I Photographic Reconnaissance Variants" pp. 46-54. I have a photocopy of the article from  years ago; the drawing is on the upper right part of page 51. Unfortunately my scanner is defunct, so I'm not much help either...

Cheers

JW
Jens

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

JW, you pinpointed the magazine including the issue number, so that's a real good start. Now I know exactly where to look!

Martin, some of the pictures are most likely the same but I the figures are not included in the three The Spitfire Story books by Alfred Price.  Sad

Regards,

Jens

Jens Jensen
www.amarc.dk
Jens

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »

I very kind person has just helped me out here.  Grin

Thanks.

Regards,

Jens

Jens Jensen
www.amarc.dk