?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Presentation and question on Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX  (Read 19849 times)
JamesF

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 03:24:59 AM »

Hello Alberto,

Great work!  What a kit from Tamiya!  I have a few questions and suggestions.  your cannon and .5 Browning are brilliant!  The gun bay, did your re-search confirm it was green?  Apparently a lot of the wing interior and areas of the fuselage on wartime aircraft was painted silver?  Also the ignition leads you have going across the top of the engine, you may want to check that.  The Spifire had two magnetos with two independant ignition harness leads going to the 24 spark plugs.  these harnesses I think ran parallel to the cylinder banks one on the lower side the others along the top?  This is in no way a criticism of your briliant work, but you seem to want to get it right.

The throttle was interesting.  Most aircraft later in the war came out with the Gyro Gunsight.  The adjustable graticule of the site, was adjusted by twisting the throttle handle (driven by two small sheathed cables attached to the throttle-gunsight).  As a result this throttle grip was larger and stuck out at right angles to the throttle lever arm.  The SAAF Museum Spifire MkIXe had this throttle, and it was normally black or aluminium in colour.  The Italian post war Spitfires may have had the gyro sight also?
al49

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »

Hello Alberto,

Great work!  What a kit from Tamiya!  I have a few questions and suggestions.  your cannon and .5 Browning are brilliant!  The gun bay, did your re-search confirm it was green?  Apparently a lot of the wing interior and areas of the fuselage on wartime aircraft was painted silver?  Also the ignition leads you have going across the top of the engine, you may want to check that.  The Spifire had two magnetos with two independant ignition harness leads going to the 24 spark plugs.  these harnesses I think ran parallel to the cylinder banks one on the lower side the others along the top?  This is in no way a criticism of your briliant work, but you seem to want to get it right.

The throttle was interesting.  Most aircraft later in the war came out with the Gyro Gunsight.  The adjustable graticule of the site, was adjusted by twisting the throttle handle (driven by two small sheathed cables attached to the throttle-gunsight).  As a result this throttle grip was larger and stuck out at right angles to the throttle lever arm.  The SAAF Museum Spifire MkIXe had this throttle, and it was normally black or aluminium in colour.  The Italian post war Spitfires may have had the gyro sight also?

Hello James,
many thanks for your comment.
Besides I'm not at all a Spitfire expert, I will try to answer.
About the gun bay color: to be honest the only document I found was a model done by someone else and I copied it.
About the engine details you are almost surely correct.
About the gun sight, there is a photo on a book dedicated to Italian Spitfires that shows what to me seems a Gyro Gunsight

but I had no pictures showing the details you are talking about.
Cheers
Alberto
Jaybee

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

Hello Alberto,

The article on the Hispano cannon in the ' Variants and technology ' section shows the interior of the gun bays in a Mk. IXe wing to be silver ( natural metal? ). As the interior of the fuselage aft of the cockpit was left unpainted from the Mk.V on it seems likely that areas inside hatches/under removable panels were also left unpainted from the Mk.V onward.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length