?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire MKI - 1/48 - Airfix  (Read 6499 times)
Damiaes

Email
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »

Hello, my Spitfire Smiley
in construction......

the photos...........

the belts were made in tin

Aleksander

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »

I hope I'm not late - there were no crowbars on small doors in early version of Spitfire (and they were not red)
Damiaes

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »

hello ...
thanks when your notice .... I am going to alter then.

thanks Smiley
magnusf

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »

While we are on the subject of the crowbar, I might as well toss in another comment:

I am ALMOST sure that it should not have a bakelite seat! I don't know what era you are building but if it is a 1938-1939 machine I think it had a metal seat! Edgar, can you help us?

Regards

Magnus
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »

The "plastic" (not bakelite, or Tufnol, which is the latest favourite) seat encountered many problems of breakages, and was not cleared for use until 14-5-40.  It was intended for the Castle Bromwich factory, as well, but that facility's delays probably made the seat available to Supermarine.  When Cross & Scarborough were researching for their book on the Airfix 1/24 kit, they were able to inspect the Imperial War Museum's Mk.I, which had been taken down for cleaning.  They advocate a black seat, in the book, which might mean that early metal seats were painted thus.  However, I have a photo from a crashed airframe, and it's possible to see some green, so you have a choice(and no-one can say you're wrong.)  In the photo, the armour (not fitted before February 6th., 1940, incidentally) is black.  The crowbar is an odd one, since it was not fitted before February, 1941, and, even then, I believe that it was fitted behind, and to the right of, the seat (like the Hurricane,) right where it can't be seen.
Edgar
Damiaes

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »

I thank to theirs explanation  Smiley
thanks
Aleksander

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

Hi Damiaes,
I have build the same model some times ago, here is the link to my "workshop" (unfortunately in Polish, but I hope some pictures can help).
http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=5480
If you need more informations, just write - maybe I could help. As I already know, the shape of the windscreen is incorect, and you should change Pitot tube for earlier type ("fork-like").
Aleksander
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length