?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamiya Mk I 1/48 Decal question....  (Read 3477 times)
Tin_Bitz

Email
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »

Hello all

Just thought I would ask a quick question about the Tamiya 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk I which I’m currently building. I’m making the No 610 one, serial No: L1043 and was wandering about the decals with the kit, did it really not have any roundals on the underside of the wing?
   Also one other this, the colour scheme says to use XF-58 (Olive Green 1 part) and XF-62 (Olive Drab 5 parts) for the green. And….XF-52 (Flat Earth) and XF-64 (Red Brown) as a mixing ratio of 1:1. Has anyone had any luck with these as they look slightly off to me……any ideas?
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Cheers…
magnusf

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

I have no real answer WHY it lacks roundels beneath the wings but have a look on the profile published here. None of the others lacks the roundels, only the Spitfire from 610! This does of course not necessary mean that it is true but then at least there is someone else who has got it as wrong as Tamiya has!

Regarding paint mixes: Can you get hold of Gunze H72 and H73 you have very good paint matches there! I have never tried the Tamiya mixes, sorry!

Regards

Magnus
Tin_Bitz

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

Hi Thanks for the info, I see what you mean how it seems to be the only one without, how odd……
   Thanks for the information on the paint, I’m going to see if hannants stock them and will have a look.
Cheers
 Grin
Antoni

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »

In September 1939 RAF day fighters had the undersides painted half Night (black), half white down the centre of the fuselage with no roundels. Air Ministry Telegram X.119 sent to all commands 2nd September 1939 stated that all RAF aircraft which had to fly over France had to carry underwing roundels. Hurricane squadrons sent to France with BEF were painted with these markings. On 10th May 1940 the German offensive in the west opened. British based fighters were now likely to be operating over France and on 15th May Signal X296 ordered that roundels were to be applied to the undersides of both wings forthwith. They were to be as large as possible but to be kept clear of the ailerons. Signal X479 4th June made reference to Signal X296 before going on to state that roundels on the underside of the port (Night/black) wing of all fighter aircraft were to be encircled by a yellow band. This was followed by Signal X915 6th June that ordered that undersides of fighter aircraft were to be doped Sky and roundels on the undersides of the mainplanes were to be removed. Following a meeting on the 23rd July that confirmed the reintroduction of underwing roundels they were officially reintroduced on 11th August.
magnusf

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »

Hannants don't stock Gunze paint but MDC does. Type H072 and H073 in the search field and you will find the ones you need!

Antoni: Excellent explanation, now I can sleep well tonight Smiley

Regards

Magnus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length