?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EB-Q R6885 Mk 1a- History?  (Read 4202 times)
Big Boris

Email
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »

Hi-

Looking for some info on

R6885 Mk Ia , delivered to  41 Squadron 30-7-40 shot down by Bf109 nr Benfleet :F/O Lovell abandoned aircraft 5-9-40

This 1a had a comparatively short operational life, and was flown by P/o Lock and then later F/o Lovell, before being shot up by a Bf109, after a head on attack into some bombers over the Thames estuary.

I'm building an Airfix 1:24 of this aircraft, and after some good reference material.

Thanks!!
Blitzencoupe

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »

Hey Big Boris,

Saw your post,  and I too am seeking info on EB-Qr6885.  I'm building a 1/24 scale Free flight scale model, and have been searching a number of places for decent documentation.  Eric Lock's history has been interesting to research.

I've committed to the "a" type camo pattern, but have seen the  E BQ Plastic model in "a" camo as well as the Corgi EB Q release in "B" camo scheme...  Also, have you seen the photos from 41 squadron website which shows contemporaneous Mk1 spits and the size and registration of the codes?  I've been using this data because the documentation rules for the free flight club I belong to club  one to document and support a project using whatever resources are available.  still searching....

Doug B
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:29 AM »

In an article, in Scale Aircraft Modelling, November 1982, even Ted Hooton couldn't be sure.  He listed those airframes which had the reverse of the "Even numbers A, odd nos B" rule, and says that there's little doubt that R6879 was "A," but then says, "It is difficult to state exactly when the normal A even/B odd rule returned: possibly at R6880 but certainly by R6904."  If he couldn't find it, it sounds like one of those "Prove me wrong." moments.
Edgar
Blitzencoupe

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »

Edgar,  Thanks for the news on that A and B camo arrangement vs. the odd/even serial number.  With the short service life of the airplane, I'd believe few photos were ever taken of that ship. I believe I will stick to what documentation I have, make the appropriate estimates from what I believe, and be satisfied with that.... back to the building bench!  Doug B
Blitzencoupe

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:12 PM »

Hi All,  I have tried to post photos of my    EB Q  Mk 1a  Free flight rubber bird under construction... but unable to do so,either here or in the modeling section... still trying though.   The file sizes i'm trying to upload all fall below the max allowable, but I keep getting an error message that the "downloader is full"... Anything that I'm obviously missing? 

Best,

Doug B
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length