?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Poll
Question: Can anyone please help
Identification - 0 (0%)
Spitfire markings - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire identification  (Read 3458 times)
warry1142

Email
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »

I'm new to the site and would like help to identify a plane that I have recently bought a picture of. The picture shows a Spitfire in flight with a clear shot of the pilots face. On the side of the plane the markings read, T21 ML417 This must mean something to you, but it means nothing to me. Please could someone help me to start my research of this fantastic aircraft.

Thanks
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »

Type Spitfire ML417 into your search engine. You will find enough to keep you busy for weeks.
warry1142

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »

Thank you for your help.
DazDaMan

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »

Spitfire LF.IX ML417 was an airshow favourite for many years while owned by the Fighter Collection and based at Duxford, Cambridgeshire for many years until sold to an American collector.  She still flies from Chino, California.

She's painted in her original 443 (Canadian) Squadron markings.  She's also credited with the confirmed destruction of one Bf109, a Bf109 probably destroyed, and one Fw190 damaged. 

Interestingly, she's one of the 20 two-seat Spitfire conversions done by Vickers in the late 1940s for the Indian Air Force, but was rebuilt as a single-seater after being retrieved from there. 

'417 was one of five Spitfires used in the filming of the TV series "Piece of Cake" in 1988, along with three Hispano Buchons (Spanish-built Bf109G) and was again bedecked in 1940 camouflage for the filming of "A Perfect Hero" in 1990.

I managed to see her in action a couple of times, and she was one of my favourite Spitfires (and certainly well-loved by her owner, Stephen Grey). 
DazDaMan

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

Sorry, meant to add this link with some more photos of her:

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-ml417.html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length