?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late-war high-back Mk XVIe: fabric or metal elevators?  (Read 5305 times)
JCote

« on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »

Would anyone be able to help me out with the above question?  Conclusive answers being pretty hard to come by, I'll gladly settle for a balance-of-probability indication.  The specific aircraft I've got in mind is Wing Commander "Stocky" Edwards' MkXVI, serial TD 147.  Thanks

Jean
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »

Although I don't have a positive proof, it is my belief that fabric-covered ailerons were effectively out of production for all marks Spitfire staring with the Mk. IX. Thus I would be surprised to learn that any Mk. XVI had them installed, at least in the factory.

Monforton's Spitfire Mk. IX/XVI Engineered show only metal ailerons on all depicted aircraft.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

Ailerons (wing) are not elevators (tail).
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »

Ailerons (wing) are not elevators (tail).

How silly of me. Somehow I had my mind set on the fabric-metal AILERON issue. I'll check how the things were with the elevators.
Apologies for the confusion.

/M.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:51:02 PM by Editor » Logged
JCote

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

No problem, an easy mistake to make.  I also put the question to Edgar Brooks, who had already been of considerable assistance  to me on yet another issue (three- vs. four-spoke hubs).  Here's his answer:

Metal elevators were introduced, as mod 1598, for the 21 only (initially,) from 15-1-47, and could, presumably, have been retrofitted to some post-war "fliers," as well. Wartime Spitfires didn't have them, though all Seafires did, so, eventually, they would have been easy to get hold of

Good enough for me!

Jean
Antoni

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »

The earliest reference to metal elevators on a Mk IX, that I know of, is ML186, "Boscombe Down Jan 1945. Handling with rear fuselage tank and metal elevators. ....... Metal elevators (hand made) improved performance. "
gingerbob

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »

The metal elevator came about in the process of the rear fuel installation (though I think the idea had been floating around, if not actually tested, before), but it was stolen to fix a handling problem with the Mk.21, in early '45- after 91 Sqn had begun to equip but before No.1 Sqn did.    The mod referred to above seems more likely to be dated 15/1/45, not '47, but I don't think it was adopted as a definite fix until March.  It is unlikely that there were any metal ones available for the IX/XVI in service until after the war.

bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:25:20 AM by gingerbob » Logged
JCote

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »

Cheers Bob, I'd gone ahead with fabric elevators already so your confirmation (and amendment) of Edgar's info is very welcome.
Jean
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length