?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire Float plane Mk IX  (Read 4692 times)
kaburaya

« on: July 12, 2010, 08:44:22 PM »

Good evening all, I have a set of resin floats and fin to convert a Mk IX to a float plane but have a couple of questions that need to be answered before I begin. I do not really wish to build the prototype and would rather build an in service plane so my questions are.
1. Did the Mk IX version go into service?
2. What colour scheme did she carry?
3. Any codes and serials known?
4. Where the undercarridge bays faired over?
and finally
6. If Icannot build a Mk IX can I use the parts on a Mk V?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Peter
ferret_64

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:54 PM »

Go wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28late_Merlin_powered_variants%29 Beware though: The picture shows the MK.IX not the MK.V: Look at the exhausts and the wider fin

The MK.IX floatplane did not go into service, there was only one built. It was intended to be used in the Far East T.O.W. and only some 30 kts. slower than the land based counterpart, but plans did not realise. 
Paint scheme was standard, but like every prototype and experimental aircraft it had the undersides painted in trainer yellow. Serial was MJ892. I do not know when the alternating "A" and "B" paint schemes were discarded, but if still in use it had to have a "B" paint scheme.

The MK.IX had a wider chord fin and the usual differences between the MK. V and MK.IX, otherwise it looked quite similar concerning the floats and the ventral fin, so no problem to use the parts on a MK.V IMHO.

I like the Spitfire floatplane too. In "Sigh for a Merlin" Alex Henshaw expressed his regrets never to have flown one, since this probably was the Spitfire variant he would have liked most.
I am a bit into "What if" modelling and I wonder what a later day Schneider trophy racer based on the MK.IX floatplane with the Speed Spitfire canopy and a paint scheme similar to the S.6B would have looked like!

Greetings, Martin 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:35:08 PM by ferret_64 » Logged
kaburaya

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:13:19 AM »

Thank you Martin for your help. I will certainly have a look at the site you suggest.
Regards
Peter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length