?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mk.I w snake pattern camouflage  (Read 3661 times)
petr_pb

Email
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »

Hi, just found this photo on a foreign discussion forum. Unfortunately without any further info.

I hope somebody might know more :-)

Jayce

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »

I'll leave it to the experts and just point out what I'm sure you've already worked out. It looks to be a Spit thats fallen into German hands. I know several did throughout the war and some were even used on 'cuckoo' operations. I'd also love to hear if anybody has some details on this.  Smiley
stevehnz

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:17 AM »

Other than the obvious stated by Jayce, it presents to my inexpert eye a conundrum or two, ie it has what appears to be a type of Lutwaffe camo found in the Mediterranean theatre, but AFAIK the first Spits out there were Vbs(Cs?) & this is clearly a Mk Ia or IIa, sorry if my deductions are up the pole, I've joined here to learn, not instruct.
Steve
gingerbob

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »

Where's the radiator?

bob
Davef68

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »

I think this is X4260 of 603 Squadron, as illustrated on pages 18-20 of Spitfire at War 3 - one of the pictures shows her being repainted in a light (grey?) colour.

The foliage and surrounding ground are similar, she belly landed (hence damage to radiator?) and had a bent and twisted prop.
stevehnz

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »

As above, Spitfire X4260 was XT-D of 603 squadron, some info & more pics of it prior to being recamo'd http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=310&pid=59480&st=80&#entry59480 Post no 116 has links to earlier posts with info & pics of this aircraft in german hands. Some of the pics in post 49 especially show it surrounded by totally similar foliage which I was told on Britmodeller was Ash. You'll need to be registered on luftwaffe-experten to see the pics.
Steve.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length