?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MKVIII and MKXIV underwing identity lights  (Read 3060 times)
Plasticpilot

Email
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »

I have recently got the new Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire MkVIII.  It has identity lights inset to the underside of the wing and also under the fuelage.  These are colured red/green/amber.  I have no references for the under side of the MKVIII but looking at a photo of the MkVIII in the Australian museum I can see the red port light.  I have no plans for the MkVIII.  The SAM publication on merlin spitfires has the MkVII but does not show these lights.  The SAM publication on the Griffon spitfires shows one identity light under the starboard wing only.  The only photo I can find showing this light is one of the preserved Mk XIV that is painted silver and red.  This shows just the starboard light and no port light.   Does anyone have info about these lights?  They seem to have appeared on the MkVIII, partially carried over to the MkXIV and then disappeared.  I cannot see them after the MkXVIII.  No seafires seem to have them.  Any ideas about colour of the single one on the MkXIV?
Shedman

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »

Drawings of the wing types on this site show the wing lights, however a note below suggests they were dropped from production in an order issued May 1943.

Do I assume the standard MkI, V, IX orange light in the belly of the aircraft was dropped, being replaced by the 'new' light further back along the fuselage.

Finally, assuming this 'new' light configuration was unique to the Mk VII & VIII, does this explain why the upper fuselage clear light (just behind the antenna mast) was absent on some (or all?) Mk VIIIs?
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »

There is a whole series of modifications, regarding the lights, and I think the best, that I can do, is just list them in numerical order, plus the date they were incorporated into production.
 11-11-40, mod 135 "To introduce station keeping lights"
  22-8-41, mod 359 cancelled mod 135.
  1-5-43, mod 746 "To delete red & green downward recognition lights on wings" was "included in Mk.VII & VIII D.I.S."
  Mod 886 "To delete upward identification lamp," was slated for the V, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XII & XIII, but is listed as being on the Mk.VII only, and is also listed as D.I.S. only, with no date. Whether it happened, anyway, and the confirmatory ledger entry was missed, I can't say; it just says that it was discussed, by the Local Technical committee, 9-2-43
 15-11-44 mod 988 "To introduce two additional downward identification lights (red & green,)" was entered for the Mk.VII
 7-12-44 mod 989 (same wording) was entered for the VIII & XIX.
If you find that little lot confusing, join the club.
Does anyone know what "D.I.S." stands for; I have theories, but nothing definite.
Regarding the XIV & XVIII, drawings show the fuselage lamp moved back to aft of frame 15, on the XIV, and 16, on the XVIII; can't find anything similar on any other Marks, so I'm assuming that, on the Merlin Marks, it stayed put. As far as I can tell, the light remained amber (certainly, that's the colour of the light in Rolls-Royce's XIV, being rebuilt at Bristol.)
Edgar
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:19:22 AM by Edgar Brooks » Logged
gingerbob

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »

Hi Edgar,

I think DIS stands for "Drawing Information Sheet" or something like that.  If I understand correctly, it is the reference for what combination of shop drawings is required to define a particular Mark.  Once at the RAF Museum I was shown an example (that's how I remember it!) and a subsequent time when I asked about it they didn't know what I was talking about.

bob
Micetro

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:59 AM »

Gents,

As far as I understand it the colour of the lens was changed to whatever 'colour of the day' had been ordered, whether that is correct or not is another matter...

Rgds Tom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length