?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Location of replica Spitfire in Chino, USA  (Read 1967 times)
nancy14caswell

Email
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »

My beloved younger son, Simon Richards, was within a month of the completion of a replica Spitfire at Chino Airprt, California, when he was killed while flying another pilot's replica plane - not a Spitfire.

The man who claimed to Simon's partner flew to England for Simon's memorial service, claimed to have bought a half-share in the plane and offered me enough to pay off my son's overdraft, which I had guaranteed.  In a state of shock and, unknowingly, needing major surgery, I accepted his offer, although it was way, way below the plane's value - over two years before when he was in process of building it, Simon had turned down an offer of £100,000.

The day I returned home from hospital, convalescent after surgery and still mourning my wnderful son, I acceded to a request from his so-called partner to finalise the deal.  Well, the mills of God grind so slow... Anton was dead within a week of being diagnosed with virulent leukaemia, almost on the 2nd anniversary of Simon's death.

I have tried to trace the subsequent fate of the plane but have been unable to do so.  Can anyone contributing to this forum have knowledge of the planes whereabouts or any suggestion as to how I can trace it? As I wrote in a poem - when I was able to return to verse-making -it had been fthe result of his passion for   

'a very special lady, that queen of war-birds,
the incomparable Spitfire.
Product of hard labour in draughty barns in Burgundy's bitter winters,
and under roofs that scorched you in her blazing summers,
embodying your dreams'

Knowing that you all share that passion, I am hoping that someone who reads this will be able to help.

Sincerely, Nancy Richards
Spits

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »

Welcome and condolances on your loss.For location of the replica it is best to ask where many restorers and fliers hang out.It is a small industry so someone may hold the answer..
Try here http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=22dca3f5402e368959fd92b128cb4058   for the american forums
 and here for the English..... http://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length