?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bare-metal (silver) Mk.IX in mediterranean theatre  (Read 3223 times)
goofi54

« on: October 19, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »

Hi,
I am looking for information on two bare-metal Mk.IX that have been used to intercept high-flying Ju-86P somewhere in the mediterranean theatre.

Years ago I've read an article about the duo. One got the weapons removed while the other had no radio installed. Thus lightened the airplanes were able to intercept the ultra-high flying Junkers.

The aircrafts were completely stripped of all paint except the serials. Does anyone have any information about the airplanes in question or even pictures?

Thanks and best regards,
 Claus
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:09:33 PM by goofi54 » Logged
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »

There were, in fact, four, operated by the SAAF's 41 Squadron; MH931 carried only .303", and MH993 two cannon. The other pair were MA504 and MA792; there is a photo of the first two, in "The Spitfire in South African Air Force Service," by Stephen McLean. From the photo, it appears that they retained their red spinners, and had serials of only 4", with silver-painted rudders. Apparently the fireproof bulkhead and armour-plating were removed, to save weight, as well.
Edgar
goofi54

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »

Hi Edgar,
many thanks for your help! At first I thought that we're talking about different units but I then googled the spitfire serials and found the following threat:
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=82232
The pictures show the airplanes I was talkingabout. Can't wait to built one of the beauties in 1/72.

Take care,
 Claus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length