?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamiya Spitfire 1/32 - Ioannis ''Agorastos'' Plagis  (Read 40543 times)
zaxos345

Email
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Good morning to all, new to the forum, my name is John and i come from Greece. I am a Lt. Col. in The Hellenic Air Force (H.A.F.) former A-7H pilot, unfortunately now transferred to office work. I have been dealing with static models for 1 year now. For the time being i am building the Tamiya's 1/32 spitfire trying to replicate the aircraft that was assigned to an ace of the RAF, a Greek from Rhodesia, Ioannis ''Agorastos'' Plagis.
Before continuing i have to thank a guy in here, Edgar, for his valuable info about the specific airplane.
Well i present you Ioannis Agoarastos Plagis

More for this Greek Aviator you can read here

John Plagis

I will try to replicate this profile

which is the aircraft Plagis used to fly as Commander of 126 squadron of RAF.

The stuff:

The Kit, I do not think that we need to say anything about that, just turned my teeth fell when I saw the number of the pieces, the engine by itself is a kit.

But also some aftermarket piecies

Which are: Interior - exterior set by Eduard, Zolt decals (i have also masks because there is a big possibility to paint the insignias), Sutton QK type Harness bought from 1/32 Sutton QK Harness [RB-P32016] - €4.50 : RB Productions Store, Scale models and accessories by Radu Brinzan, Hispano 20mm cannons from Master-model.pl and pilot seat, door and some other internal details from here Display Products.

To be continued.....

John
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:45:41 PM by zaxos345 » Logged
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »

I painted the cockpit with White Ensign's grey-green and i continued with the cockpit wiring and piping trying to replicate the interior as much as i could. I have to underline that the small decals are from Barracuda studios, sent together with the resign details i bought from Roy, and the placards are dry transfers from Archer.

More photoes...with the cockpit weathering proccess...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:45:57 PM by zaxos345 » Logged
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

And finally the finished cockpit, i have assempled the right side of it, which was the most difficult side with most of the details there.

Here with the seat belts corrected as they were ''flying'' around...

Thats all so far gents, i have assembled the fuselage and i let it rest a little so that for the glue to completely dry. i have a lot of work ahead of me so stay tuned for the next update. Hope you like it so far.

John

P.S. Once again i have to thank Edgar for all the useful info he provided me.
magnusf

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:24:33 PM »

I'll keep an eye on your progress! Youv'e done a very good job so far.

Regards

Magnus
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »

Thanks Magnus

John
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:10:44 AM »

Good morning gents, does anyone knows how should i depict the radiator flaps on the ground for my spitfire IX? open or closed?

John
magnusf

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »

Generally speaking: closed! I have taken a quick look in my reference books and the Mk IX seems to be parked with the radiator flaps in the closed position more or less always. This differs compared to the Mk V that seems to be parked with the radiator flaps open quite often but not always!

I don't know WHY though, I would say that is something for Edgar to answer!

Best regards

Magnus
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »

Thanks Magnus, i also wait for Edgar to show up  Smiley Smiley
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:48:27 AM »

Sorry, gentlemen, I had my internet cut off (literally, by a workman's shovel) for 5 weeks, and only got reconnected yesterday.
 The short answer is that I don't know, but the IX's radiator flaps were totally automatic, and designed to open when the coolant reached 115C, so, in the time it took the pilot to select everything down and land, if the temperature had dropped below that, the flaps would have closed.
 On the V, the flap was controlled by a lever, beside the seat, which had to be pushed forward for operation. It's entirely feasible for a pilot to want the thing out of his way, as he got out, so he would shove it forward.
Edgar
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:39 AM »

Thanks Edgar,  Wink

John
malt1977

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »

I look forward to following this thread, keep up the good work.
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »

Good morning guys, Merry Christmas to you all.
My progress is slow but steady. I assembled the fuselage, was allowed to rest in 2 weeks, i didn't want to chase ghost seams again, while I was working the wings, where i spent some time due to some fitting problems as you will see below. Finally i assembled the fuselage with the wings facing no problems at all, the fitting on this kit is 95% superb. Unfortunatelly lots of cockpit detail was lost as i closed the fuselage.

The fitting problems with the gun ports which were solved using instant glue, gel type, as a filling agent with exellent results. After the sanding, i redo all the affected rivets one by one, time consuming job but worth it.

Some detail on the radiator covers, which i choosed to depict them closed, and the G-factor landing gear which is going to be used.

Thats all for now, untill the next update,
I wish you HAPPY NEW YEAR.

John
magnusf

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

That is one very nice and busy-looking cockpit! Nice work!

Best regards

Magnus
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »

Good evening guys, my progress is a bit slow but steady. Well this is what i have done during the past few days.

The main landing gear

The landing gear doors

the wheels

The photoes are a bit more lighten due to flash, real things are more balanced.
Well next update with the propeller (i keep thinking of this engine which comes next....)

John
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »

You may just wow items be doing your job.....

What this has to do  with my post? My freind you are in a wrong forum.

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length