?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamiya Spitfire 1/32 - Ioannis ''Agorastos'' Plagis  (Read 42400 times)
marluc

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »

Great work John,the Merlin looks like the real thing,the wheathering efect on the plumbing,firewall and engine is outstanding.And the paintwork on the Spitfire and it invasion stripes is very neat and tidy,well done.
Keep up with the good work,greetings.

Martin
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »

Thanks Martin

John
JamesF

Email
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »

Hello John,

A fantastic job!!  Best I've seen, so much is good, but the seat and harness and panel look fantastic.  Very inspirational, hope I can do my Tamiya kit the same justice.  Keep up the posts!
JamesF

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »

John, you are doing an amazing job!!  How did you weather the engine?  That effort has got to be a show winner!  Just a suggestion about the prop, from the photos, it looks like you have done some excellent weathering effect with silver?  Have a look at that as I think the MkIX propellor blades were wood, with a copper or brass leading edge?  Really am impressed with your weathering techniques.

zaxos345

Email
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »

Thank you very much James. For the engine i used oils, wash and dry brush, and mig pigments. I tried not to overdo it. As for the propeller, i now about that, but i also saw this picture

it seems a bit silver to me, in fact i used citadel bolt gun metal. May be it seems a bit silver due to the flash. Thanks again for your comments.

John
JamesF

Email
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »

John, 

What a great photo!  What's the story behind that?  Looking at it I would say it looks like a dulled brass under the chipped paint?  Anyway, I think you're right about your camera flash making your prop weathering shine.  Was interesting to see in that great photo, the oil leak staining on the spinner.  Was looking at my Tamiya kit's instruction booklet today, it really is an amazing kit.  I have a book of "Air Aces", in it there's a great shot of the Norwegian ace Flt Lt Svein Heglund, above his head can be seen his Spifire's spinner which is badly damaged, apparently from a piece of airframe that broke off an FW 190 he was busy shooting down.
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »

Good morning James, this photo is from a book something like ''spitfire The Canadians'' or something like that. Yes it is a great photo but i really dont know the story behind it! Anyway if you are planning to build thiw great kit, i wish you luck and patience.

John
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »

It's likely to be a Sunday service, possibly while at readiness; I'd say the bespectacled gentleman, far right, is the padre.
Edgar
Jaybee

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »

-A Rotol propellor using Jablo blades having an armoured leading edge was tested on Mk Vc EF713 in October 1943. If the drawing in ' Spitfire - the history ' depicts the production version the blade had a mild steel sheath from the root to 10 3/4 " from the tip, and brass from there to the leading edge tip.
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »

Good evening guys, as i am waiting for the colors of the roundels to dry i decided to deal with the exhausts. Well here is my result

Hope you like it so far,

John
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »

Good evening guys, today i finally finished with the painting of the roundels and Fuselage codes. But let me put the facts in order.
First i put the stencils, dry transfers by hobbydecal. Then i spayed two light coats of future and started painting the roundels, codes and the yellow stripe using masks and white ensign colors. Afterwards i sanded them lightly and put the rest of the decals. Finally i gave it another light future coat and now it waits for the washes and weathering. Hope you like it.

John
JamesF

Email
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »

Fantastic John!  Looks brilliant.  Very interesting markings. 

You have really motivated me to get stuck into mine!  Busy building a Westland Lysander 1/32 scale, so need to finish that first.  Not to mention the 1966 Mercedes Benz W108 250S I'm restoring, but that's another story entirely...........!

When It's finished, how are you going to display it?  I would say that would need to go into a perspex box or glass case?  I have always wanted to put mine in a glass or preferably perspex box, on a nice heavy wooden base, and leave a bit of wood overlap to the rear, to which I want to attach a brass tube, and make a side table lamp out of it.
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »

Good evening guys, i am truly very proud to present you ''Miss KAY'' finished. Photoes are not my strongest point but i will try....

Here with her ''clothes on'' in a dry fit manner, usually she will pose ''naked''

...continued
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »

...And here a bit ''naked'', as she is going to be presented.

Thank very much for watching, waiting for your comments

John
JamesF

Email
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »

Wow John,  that's a brilliant model.  It is like owning your own Spitfire, wish we could shrink?  What a job, what a great kit by Tamiya.  I think your weathering is spot on.  I've seen some Spits with heavy oil staining on the belly, but I think very often models are over weathered.  Having also been in the military for all of my flying career, most aircraft, even the old SAAF Harvards, were generally kept pretty clean. 

Really like Tamiya's representation of the air filter/ram air scoop under the engine.  The SAAF Museum Mk IX had a lever in the cockpit near the throttle if memory serves, which you could select to ram air or filtered.  When selected to filtered, the carburettor air was drawn from inside the cowling, through a rough sponge type filter, lying along the top of that duct, into the carb intake.  Pretty clever, and was probably also good for an anti icing system.  Ram air opened the little flap located in the duct "mouth", drawing in outside "ram"  air straight down the duct when at speed.  This of course was unfiltered but not an issue at height.  Beautifully re-created in minature on the model!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length