?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamiya Spitfire 1/32 - Ioannis ''Agorastos'' Plagis  (Read 39466 times)
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »

Thanks James, are you or were you a flying officer? I am a flying officer my self, Lt. Colonel of the HAF, with almost 2000 flying hours in A-7H Corsair.
JamesF

Email
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »

Hello John. Yes I had read about your position with the Greek Air Force in your first post.  Fantastic to have done 2000 hrs on an A7!  Great looking jet.  An ex Squadron boss of mine Tony Smit, got to fly an A7 with the Portugese Air Force on a visit a few years ago.  He said it was great.  Fantastic visability from the cockpit and very roomy inside!

Yes I spent most of my career with the South African Air Force (SAAF).  I trained on Harvards and Machi jets which we called the Impala.  My main operational type was helicopters, the Alouette III, S330 Puma and Oryx, basically a Super Puma.  I also did three years on contract in the Middle East as a QFI with the Royal Air Force of Oman flying the Pilatus PC9M.  I had innitially done instructors course in the SAAF and as a QFI flew the good old Harvard (Spamcan), on which I did about 800 Hrs. After a tour at CFS, I was posted to 87 Heli FS, instructing on the Alouette III.  I am now with the Australian Army, on Helicopters.  Was instructing on B206 Kiowa's and presently doing a tour with Defence Aviation Safety.

Just before going to the Middle East I was posted in to the SAAF Museum as the 2IC.  Got to fly the Harvards again, and did a few hours in the Museum Chipmunk beautiful little aircraft, had the best braking system I've ever seen on a tail dragger!  But the absolute highlight, indeed a career highlight, was I got to fly the SAAF Museum Spitfire MkIX as the display pilot from 1999 to April 2000.  This was infact a rare Mk IX bubble top with the clipped wings.  Rare in that most of these were MkXVI's, but ours had the Merlin 70 instead of the Packhard built engine.  What can I say!  One of the most reponsive, viceless aircraft I've flown, and basically very easy to fly.  Certianly easier to fly than the Harvard.  The only tricky part was the after landing roll as you have no slipstream over the rudder and a castoring tailwheel, so you could get quite busy on the rudder, as any swing had to be stopped immediately.  Tragically, the Spitfire crashed shortly after I left for Oman, after suffering an in flight carb problem leading to engine failure.  The pilot got out thankfully, with a few cuts and bruises, but sadly the Spitfire will need to have a lot of money thrown at it, if it is to fly again.

There are a lot of cliches about the Spitfire, one of which was "you don't get into a Spitfire, you put it on and wear it", or as the famous Spitfire pilot Pete Brothers used to say, "you thought it and it did it",  all I can say is, the "cliches" are true!!
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »

Some better photoes, took some time but...

JamesF

Email
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 05:17:41 AM »

Hello John,

Fantastic, great job, the cockpit lettering on the U/C selector and throttle quadrant really do add a great look to the model.  I'll have a beer this afternoon and do a toast to all the Rhodesians that flew for Britain, in her time of need! 
marluc

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »

Congratulations,you´ve made a superb model.The detailling work is excellent,I particularly like the cockpit interior and the engine with all the pipework.Thanks for sharing the progress with us,greetings.

Martin
Editor
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »

Fantastic work on the model, I love it! You have done justice to the Tamiya kit, and more  Cool
Thanks for sharing the build in this very informative thread.
zaxos345

Email
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »

Thank you very much,

John
Damiaes

Email
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »

Great work, congratulations from Portugal  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: