?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with Early Spitfire MK 1 K9795 Airfix 1/48  (Read 4806 times)
ataribaby

Email
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »

Hi all,
Just bought beautiful Airfix 1/48 kit and decided to build it as early MK 1 K9795 - what i believe is 9th serial aircraft delivered. By quick doc scan i have i found it dosent have armor plate behind seat (doc said till 9th build ac it was missing). It has older pitot sensor under  wing, cross hair instead reflector gunsight in 1938 and balancing something like wire around top of vertical tail. My questions are about seat, gun camera and tail number color. I dont know how this early seats looks - if they was bakelite one or metal ones and have that cussion on back and what color seat was for that early spit. Also how external guncamera looks? I cant find any pic of early external mounted guncamera on top of right wing before it moved to left wing root and last if this serial K9795 had white or yellow 19 on tail. Decals contains both and i am not sure. Thanks a lot for any help.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:58:48 PM by ataribaby » Logged
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

Seats were metal until the introduction of the plastic (not bakelite) seat in May, 1940. They could have been green, or I've seen reports of black ones. As well as no armour behind the seat, there was none on the headrest, either (until February, 1940.)  Rudder pedals only had a single crossbar; the wire "thingy" fitted to the fin was a deflector for the planned braking parachute, which was never fitted. The fin colour could be a problem, without looking at the ORB, in Kew. Dowding's original plan was for the Squadron number to be painted on the fuselage, in the colour of the Flight to which each airframe belonged, so it's likely that this was done with 19's aircraft.
Edgar
ataribaby

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »

Seats were metal until the introduction of the plastic (not bakelite) seat in May, 1940. They could have been green, or I've seen reports of black ones. As well as no armour behind the seat, there was none on the headrest, either (until February, 1940.)  Rudder pedals only had a single crossbar; the wire "thingy" fitted to the fin was a deflector for the planned braking parachute, which was never fitted. The fin colour could be a problem, without looking at the ORB, in Kew. Dowding's original plan was for the Squadron number to be painted on the fuselage, in the colour of the Flight to which each airframe belonged, so it's likely that this was done with 19's aircraft.
Edgar

Thanks a lot for info. I will make green seat and white 19 number in tail.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

K9795 (A pattern camouflage) appears from photographs to have the number 19 in white, and may possibly have been the Squadron Commander's aircraft. Other reports of the 19 being painted in yellow may refer to 'B' Flight aircraft, although there is no mention of Blue being used, Blue being the C Flight colour.  It may have been the original intention to mark all the Squadron's Spitfires with a Yellow 19 on the fin, but this changed to the use of the Flight colour. In the event, these early markings remained for only a brief period, perhaps too brief for C Flight to have their aircraft marked with a Blue 19, before new markings replaced the existing ones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length