?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark XIVc wing outer gun access panels bliste  (Read 1864 times)
Plasticpilot

Email
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »

I am buildinga series of models and one of them is a MkXIVc.  I have a question about the c wing outer access hatches for the brownings.  On the MkIX and MkVIII plus MkXII I can see that the outer upper wing hatch has a small blister on it.  On pictures of MkXIV that are preserved I cannot see it however they all appear to be e wings.  The hatch is there but no guns and no blister.  Also true on MKXVIII.  I am trying to locate a wartome photo of he XIVc that shows this area.  Tried lots of reference works but t is dificult to spot as the small blister is in the red part of the upper wing B type roundel.

Icidentally the blister is present on the Seafire XVII at the FAA museum.

Logic would say that as the XIVc had the same wing and armament as the  IXc then it will have the blister.  However I would really like to get a 'visual' on this before I go any further on the model.

any ideas anyone?
Jaybee

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

I presume you mean the small blister across the width of the panel towards it's rear? I've found it on photos of Mk XIV RM689/G-ALGT "RM619", DP845 ( as prototype Mk XII ) and G-AIDN as N32 after conversion from a FVIII. Interestingly I also found it on a photo of Mk II P8021 and an unknown clipped wing Mk V. From the only photo ( of a Mk 1 ) of the inside of the outer gun bay that I have found it looks as if it may have been to give clearance for the rear mounting yoke, which would explain it's presence on any mark carrying a gun in that bay, but whether it was standard or unique to one sub-contractor I wouldn't like to say. Spotting it requires a good view of the upper wing surface and the lighting has to be just right! I'll look through the mods listed for the Mk 1 and II in Morgan and Shacklady to see if there's any mention of a change to that panel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length