?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 131 County of Kent Squadron can anyone help  (Read 9405 times)
dazza25

Email
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

Hi guys wondering if there is anyone who can help me out. I am new on here and im looking for some information or some leads on a Spitfire that flew in 131 county of kent squadron bearing the name of Faversham. I know it wore the code of NX last code unknown no-one can help me also it wore a serial code of BM380 it was a MK Vb. I hope someone can help me out as ive been trying to trace this spitfire for a year and getting no where fast.

thanks Darren
Antoni

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:14 PM »

Details can be found in Gifts of War, Henry Boot and Ray Sturtivant, Air Britain Publication.RAF Museum have photograph(s).
dazza25

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Hi Antoni thanks for the quick response I will try and find the book have contacted manston airfield and they sent some bits of info back but nothing that could help and also contacted hendon museum they also sent the production record back to me but they do not show what happened to the spitfire. My friend at work did abit of digging around and he seems to think it went to india in 1945 and once again unable to find any records of this any ideas. Cheers Darren
Antoni

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »

If you have the Aircraft Movement Card (Form 78) it will list the units it was allocated to and the dates. Also accidents and damage. The last entry will be SOC (Struck off Charge). There is usually a reason given under SOC details. BM380 was SOC 5/11/1945. No mention of it going to India and BM380 is not listed in Spitfire International as a Spitfire serving in the Indian Air Force.

Imperial War Museum has photograph CH5889 - with Sgt C.R.Briggs of 131 Squadron.
RAF Museum PC74/47/16

If the aircraft's individual letter is not recorded in 131 Squadron's ORB (Operations Record Book - held in the National Archives, Kew)  then the best you can hope for is that it is listed in a pilots log book that flew it.

EP233 (NX-B) and EP395 also bore the name Faversham.
jimma

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »

Daz, I am from Faversham and am trying to find out all I can about the Invicta squadron - please feel free to email me and we can combine forces.  I have been in touch with the Faversham Society and will let you know if I find anything

James
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »

There were three "Faversham" airframes. BM380 5-4-42, which was transferred to 52nd F.G., USAAF 22-8-42; the name then went to EP233 (NX-B) which had been earmarked to go abroad, but lacked the necessary filter, originally sent to 310 Squadron, where it received Cat B damage, it went to 131 Squadron 1-7-43 after repair, then returned to 310 Squadron 24-9-43, eventually being SOC after 6-10-44; EP395 took over the name, when it joined 131 Squadron 2-7-43, leaving for 310 Squadron 29-9-43, and eventually SOC 29-6-45. I don't have the codes for BM380 or EP395, sorry.
Edgar
dazza25

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »

Thanks to everyone for all your help sorry I havent been on for a while so have had to read everyones posts at once. I am still trying to see what happened everytime I get a thread of info I hit a wall and cant go any further so if anybody gets anymore info please email me thanks again

Daz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length