?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mk. Vb Prop decal/logo  (Read 4024 times)
capt easy

Email
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »

I'm trying to add finsihing touches to a 1/8 scale Spitfire Mk. Vb (serial no. EN951) and would like to add decals for a three blade prop. I'm uncertain whether it should  be a Rotol or DeHavilland.  Huh

If anyone can provide the proper type and a downloadable reference I'd most appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dick
Spits

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »

Easy way to tell is the spinner..Pointy if Dehaviland,bluntish for Rotol IIRC.The MkV blades were alloy I think and the later ones wood.There is a post on this forum for propellor blade markings.
http://forum.keypublishing.com/search.php?searchid=3396453&pp=30
Antoni

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:45:41 AM »

Easy way to tell is the spinner..Pointy if Dehaviland,bluntish for Rotol IIRC.The MkV blades were alloy I think and the later ones wood.There is a post on this forum for propellor blade markings.

Just like i before e except after c this isn't correct in practice.

There were three different types of Rotol props found on CBAF built Mk V Spitfires.

Early style with blunt-spinner and narrow-root metal blades.
Intermediate variant with broad-root wooden blades and blunt spinner.
These were only found on the earliest aircraft up to early AD.. serial range.

The most common, long pointed spinner with broad-root blades. EN951 had this type.

de Havilland propellers had short pointed spinners.

Don't forget that EN951 had a yellow letter D painted under the nose.
capt easy

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »

Thanks for the promt information....

If I understand and  read correctly, the longer, pointed spinners used DeHaviland props - correct?

According to what I've seen and researched blunt spinners were used on earlier the Mk. V's, so that makes sense. The spinner I'm using is longer and more pointed - very similiar to a P-51 so it should be correct for EN951.

I was not aware of the yellow  "D" under the nose (cowl?) What did that signify and where did you find the info on EN951?

I'll check out the forum on prop blade markings...thanks again.

capt easy

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »

I tired to go to that keypublishing forum without success...is it separate for m this site?

Cheers, Dick
Antoni

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »

CBAF built Spitfires usually had Rotol units.
Supermarine/Westland built Spitfires de Havilland Units.

Early CBAF Mk Vs had Rotol RX5/14 or RX5/24 (metal blades). The spinners were bulbous and blunt. These are usually associated with Mk IIs which were built by CBAF. They are also found on Hurricane Mk Is.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »

Later CBAF built Mk Vs had Rotol RX5/10 (wooden composite blades). The spinners were long and pointed. These were the most common units fitted to Mk Vs and the type found on EN951.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »

Supermarine and Westland built Mk Vs had de Havilland Hydromatic (metal blades). The spinners were short and pointed.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »

It was the common practice to paint the aircraft's individual letter under the nose.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54:39 PM »

The white stripe behind the yellow tips of the propeller blades is a legacy from 133 Squadron where EN951 was flown by Don Blakeslee.

The best reference for EN951 is probably 'Zumbach's Donalds' Wojtek Matusiak, Rossagraph ISBN 83-916229-5-9.

Click on the photographs to view them full size.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length