?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: spitfire joystick  (Read 20417 times)
bonefish

Email
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »

Hello All,

My grand dad was in WW2 and he flew with a spitfire , when he died I received this piece.
I looked on the net and found this is probably a spitfire joystick (don't know correct name).
Anyone here that can give me somle info about how this check this ?

see picture :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks
Tomas

Editor
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:58:24 PM »

Bonefish,

This indeed looks like a handle from the Spitfire control column, also known for its characteristic shape as a "spade grip". The same circular grip was a standard feature of all British fighter aircraft throughout the 1930s, most notably also on Hurricanes. If I recall things correctly, the handle together with pneumatic gun trigger was supplied by Dunlop.

Perehaps someone more knowledgeable could identify the mark of the aircraft by the layout of the buttons.

Hope this helpps

Martin
Jaybee

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »

The control grip is from a cannon/machine gun armed Spitfire,. It appears that after the introduction of the Vb one control column assembly was standardised for all Spitfire production, so it may have come from a Mk. V, IX/XVI ( even a PR XI ) or one of the wartime Griffon engined variants. If you have details of your grandfather's squadron that would narrow things down a bit.
The rectangular push-button ( silver ) fired the cannon and machine guns, it also operated a cine camera in the wing root when the guns were fired. The camera could also be operated independently for training by the round button at the base of the hand-grip. The lever across the hand-grip operated the brakes on the main wheels.
bonefish

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, well apreciated.
Unfortunately I can't find anything about my grandfathers squadron or unit but if I look around on other sites and see more  pictures it seems to be very alike with spitfire...

Can anyone give me an idea of it's value or is this not to say ?

Thanks
Bonefish
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length