?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ID of WW11 pilot  (Read 2002 times)
boudicca

Email
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »

Sometime ago I purchased a small painting of a spitfire at a local car boot sale. The stall holder was related to the artist who was a pilot during the war and a holder of the DFC. I now would like to donate this painting to a small local war museum but would also like to  try and find out who the pilot was. I don't think the pilot was killed in action as the relative had a number of items on display so I believe that he only recently died.  My query is this. Was a pilot in sole charge of the same plane throughout the conflict , so would I be able to (somehow) trace him through the number on the aircraft ( if the number in the painting is genuine) The number is UP followed by a Roundal then the letter A.
Jaybee

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »

Are you sure that the painting is of a Spitfire? The codes UP indicate 605 squadron, which operated Hawker Hurricanes from 1939 to 1942. The easiest way to tell a Spitfire and Hurricane apart ( to the non-enthusiast ) is the cockpit cover. The Spitfire has a one piece sliding hood behind the windscreen, whereas the Hurricane hood consists of three sections.
Antoni

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »

605 Squadron were not equipped with spitfires during WWII. Hurricane, Havoc, Boston and Mosquito.

First identify exactly what type of aircraft it is. Then go to the Key Publications Forum and ask your question there.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4

It would help considerably if the serial number of the aircraft can be seen in the painting. If not then unless the aircraft is well known you will have many difficulties.

If you know the serial number then you can ask the RAF Museum Hendon for the Form 78 Aircraft Movement Card. That will tell you when and where it was assigned until it was Struk Off Charge (SOC). After that you can go to the National Archive at Kew and ask to see the Squadron Operational Record Book (ORB). With a bit of luck, in there, you may be able to find the serial number and pilot(s) that flew it listed. There maybe someone on the Key Publishing Forum that as done this already or has copies of the documents and save you the trouble.   
Johne

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:11:55 AM »

The best known UP-A was P3308 often flown by F/Lt A.A. McKellar.

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length