?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions of a Newbie about the Trumpeter Spitfire MK.VB 1/32 and general:-)  (Read 3051 times)
NICK

Email
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »

Hi Guys I am new to this beautifull forum dedicated to the Spitfire.I have just bought the above model and could do with the advice of some of the experts here.

Some of the questions i have are:
1) Is the spitfire mark VI the same as the Vb?
2)Are the landing flaps for the spitfires the same in all marks?I was thinking of including in the build eduards landing flaps which are for the MK IX spitfire.
3)What is the difference between early and late type seat belts?
Thank you
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »

1/. Basically, yes, but (usually) with extended wingtips, and a much-modified cockpit, with sealed bulkheads, and different canopy arrangement.
2/. Again, basically the same, but pilots were under strict orders (usually with a fine imposed by the C.O., if they forgot) to retract the flaps immediately after landing, and before taxying in, so you would rarely see the flaps deployed, unless the aircraft was undergoing maintenance.
3/. The Sutton harness stayed in use throughout the war, and just after; the only exception was the low-back XVI (and possibly the F.R.XIVe) in 1945, which had a parachute-style set-up, with quick-release box. This was caused by the extra fuselage fuel tank, which blocked off the Sutton's release mechanism.
Edgar
NICK

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »

Thank you for answering my questions Edgar Wink
JamesF

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:34:48 AM »

A bit more on the flaps, they were either up or down (64 Deg), and were held down by air pressure.  The air pressure vented at the selector in the cockpit, when selected up, causing a very loud hiss!  Not normally heard with engine running.  Air pressure is maintained in the two compressed air tanks (normally painted black) just behind the cockpit rear bulkhead.  The SAAF Museum MkIXe would slowly bleed air pressure when left in the hanger for a few days, this would have caused the flaps to retract if left deployed, in any case as they were spring loaded to retract on the ground.  However the main reason I think you rarely see pictures of the flaps deployed was that they tend to significantly restrict airflow through the radiators, so most pilots would retract them soon after landing to avoid the coolant temp rising during a taxi back to dispersal. 

Tamiya have supplied the small panels which were pushed up by the flap hinges on the wing trailing edge which was a pilot visable que left and right, both flap (two sets inboard smaller and outboard per side as such) were down.  Not needed as there was a maked nose down pitch when they deployed which was a good indication and if assymetric, I would think, a severe rolling moment would occur?  So Tamiya have all the correct detail to model the flaps down, but I think it was rare to see a Spitfire parked with the flaps deployed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length