?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello to fellow Enthusiasts.  (Read 1844 times)
JamesF

Email
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »

Just joined the forum, great site, the best I've seen personally.  Hats off to Martin! 

Some very interesting topics.  I have already posted some comments on the "public" pages as such.  Have always admired the Spitfire, and despite all the engineering involved in an aircraft, the old adage "If it looks good, it will fly good" proved so true.  I was very fortunate to be quite involved with the South African Air Force Museum Spitfire MkIXe, a low back bubble top aircraft.  Herein lies my first topic, we were told it was a MkIX, not a XVI, as it was infact fitted with a Merlin (63 or 70, escapes me at the moment) engine, not the Packard built one?  Anyone got info/references on that?  The aircraft was part of a gift package of 137 Spitfires that were gifted to the SAAF after the war.  This aircraft was used for weapond training for SAAF pilots gonig to fly P51's and later Sabres in Korea.  After retirement, it was a gate guard at AFB Waterkloof for many years, before being re-built.  Tragically, two weeks after I left the Museum to take up a position as a contract QFI with the Royal Air Force of Oman, she crashed due to engine failure (put down to a rich cut as far as I know).  Although extensivly damaged, she could be re-built but would require  substantial funding.  Hard to justify in an ait force already being forced as so many are to cut costs.

Good to be on the Forum, and can't wait ti start work on my Tamiya Spitfire IX, and looking for the new Tamiya MkXVI!  No surprises as to what aircraft I want to model with the MkXVI kit!
Sopwith

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »

Hello JamesF and welcome
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length