?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM Spit VII  (Read 4573 times)
Hengist

« on: June 11, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Hi All,

I have this 1/48th kit, and the Extra-Tech brass bits..

Anyone built this? Comments welcome.

Also have 1/48th Italeri Spitfire IX on the shelf - any comments on this one?

I have been out of the kit-building loop for about 10 years - maybe more - and am trying to get back into the game!

This seems to be a great site, stumbled upon accidentally...

Regards,
H
JamesF

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »

Hello Hengist.  Good to hear you're back in the modelling game.  the ICM kits are very nice, but do have some accuracy issues in the length of fuselage and windshield /cockpit area, as I recall.  But nothing that will be obvious or make the model look wrong.  The Merlin engine is detailed very well for a 1/48th scale kit I think.

I would actually recommend you look to getting the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire kit.  Some forum members have postede some great insights and views of brilliant examples they have built.  It is a beautifuly engineered kit and goes together with no fuss, and as such is fun to build.  I have not built mine yet, but from what I've heard, everything fits remarkably well.  A very spectacular model, and if you like Spitfires, will give you an insight into the technicalities of the aircraft itself I think. 
Antoni

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »

Depends how accurate you want it to be. See here: http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/spitfireviic48mb_1.htm

and here: http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/spitfireviicbs_1.htm

for what is required.

Some people have had a lot of problems with the fit of the wing tips. Ultracast have resin replacements and many other replacement parts. 

marluc

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »

Welcome to the forum (and back to the modelling too) Hengist.

Some people have had a lot of problems with the fit of the wing tips.
I do,the wings are thicker than the wing tips,leaving a step.The ICM Spitfires have many sink marks and fit problems,but besides these issues,it´s a very good looking kit once assembled.Greetings.

Martin
jonbius

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

I've built them both.

The Italeri kit is the old Occidental kit. There are some criticisms of it's shape around the nose, but I fall in the "well it looks like  Spitfire" group, so I don't worry too much about it. The kit goes together fairly well, without too much fuss. Overall fit is good. I used a small amount of Mr. Surfacer 1000 along the wing root, just to smooth it up a bit, and on the horizontal stabs. As with most Spitfire kits, a little filling and sanding is required where the underside of the fuselage and the underside of the wing meet. Overall, it was a pleasure to build. I built the "American Aces" boxing, and liked it so much, I bought another, and the "Beer Truck" boxing. Here are some photos of my build.

The ICM kit was a bit more challenging to build. I chose to build it without the engine, so that took some planning. It is a nice kit as far as detailing and shape go, but I found that it took much more in the way of test fitting and planning various strategies for getting parts in place than other Spitfire kits I've built. (I build a LOT of Spitfires... 36 in the past 4 years, and have 3 more underway now. I love Spitfires! Smiley). The join of the underside of the wing to the fuselage was far more challenging than the Italeri kit, as parts did not mate up correctly where the aft edge of the wing blends into the fuselage. It took sanding and carving, and eventually I just said "it's only a hobby", called it good enough, and went on to painting, warts and all. (You can see the scars here.) More pics are here. Check your references, but I believe you need to close up the gaps where the cockpit door is. (I did.... hope it was right.) As mentioned earlier, the wing tips did have some fit issues, both pointed and round. (I used the latter.)

Of the two, I enjoyed building the Italeri kit much more, though the ICM kit is not too bad when you are done with it and it sits on the shelf.

----------------------
Jon Bius
Editor/Publisher
AgapeModels.com
DF1

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »

Hi Hengist-as a long time lurker  to this wonderful site I can add a few comments.

Firstly there does not seem to be a 1/48 Spitfire/Seafire which doesn't attract criticism. Many think the ICM is the best long nose Merlin but it can be a tricky build.
Many points have already been mentioned but I've found the big issue to be construction of the cowling  and the fact that the engine is too big if you wish to fit the cowling.
My advice on this (if you go the closed cowling route) is to fit the engine bulkhead (many others say leave it off) but omit the engine. The bulkhead needs to be chamfered so that it seats properly in the cowling sides (it doesn't push the sides apart then and provides a seating for the bottom wing). The top and bottom engine frames can be added from behind this and they fit into grooves on the top and bottom of the side cowlings. This provides a ledge for the separate top and bottom cowlings and also lugs for the spinner base.

Leaving out the engine you will have to blank off the exhaust slots and fit the exhausts (after some trimming) from the outside.

The ICM cowling is slimmer relative to all the other kits around - which is correct I don't know-you pays your money.......

The other (small) point is that the rear fuselage behind the glazing is rather pointy (should be rounded). I'm currently experimenting to alter this with the application of gentle heat - the end result is that a new rear glazing piece is then needed.

Incidentally the ICM Mk VIII and VII kits are identical to the Mk IX (decals apart). If you do a Mk VII/VIII a different tailwheel (not supplied) is required.

For the Mk VII the modifications are more extensive to get an accurate model so references are vital. (Falcon make a replacement  canopy and the arrangement around this and the cockpit area-including the rear canopy section are unique to the VII-check out the excellent Barracudacals site for a build of the VII [albeit 1/72] giving solutions plus superb decals).

Speaking of decals-good luck if you use the ICMs Roll Eyes

Best of luck with your build

HTH
 Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length