?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seafire XV from Airfix's Spitfire Mk. XII and Seafire XVII  (Read 30465 times)
jonbius

Email
« on: July 17, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »

I have an idea to build a couple of Seafire XVs using bashed parts of the Spitfire XII and the Seafire XVII.

For a Seafire XV with an A-frame arrestor hook, I plan to use the wings of the XVII, and the fuselage of the XII. I'll scribe In the area of the arrestor hook, and cut out a notch for the hook to peek out. I've overlayed the XII and XVII wings, and they look to match. I'll add the two sling points to the fuselage, and with some markings, it should be a fair representation.

For a XV with the stinger hook, I'll do the same sequence, but use the stinger hook and rudder from the XVII.

I did read a line in Shacklady's book that the production XV had a lengthened fuselage over the XII, but as I am horrible at that type of surgery, I will probably skip that part and call it "close enough".

Does that sound like a reasonable plan of attack?

----------------------
Jon Bius
Editor/Publisher
AgapeModels.com
DF1

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »

Hi Jon-congratulations on your site -excellent.

Re Seafire XV I have a similar plan having just completed the XVII (a lovely kit with Tamiya standard 'clickability' and some great new solutions such as the arrangement for the tailplane and adjustable elevators). The separate ailerons too are much superior to the ICM arrangement.

Your plan sounds good but you will need to fit the strengthening strips on the sides for the XV plus catapult spools. (I plan to use spares from the Special Hobby Mark 3). Looking at various photos and drawings these seem to vary in length - some go halfway along the fuel tank and some seem to end at the start of the fuel tank . A photo of your subject will help with that.

One point I'll be interested to see you tackle is how to reproduce the additional 'locking' nuts on the cowling (the XV has a lot more than the XII). Copying the rather prominent Airfix Dzuz is going to be tricky  and my impression has always been that Griffons after the XII have a different (smaller) type of fastener anyway.

Regarding the rudder the A frame aircraft seem to have the narrower and more pointed Mk XII style (some with extended trim tab) and the 'stingers' in my references have the more rounded and wide rudder of the XVII (can't guarantee this is a strict rule though).

I've used dividers on the drawings in 'On Target profile 5' and 'Modellers Datafile 5' and the cowling length seems exactly the same for the XII, XV, and XVII (I have seen intimations elsewhere however that both publications are 'error riddled')-Mmmm.

There seems to be some criticism of the depth of the Airfix body but there is plenty of thickness in the plastic to shave a mm off the bottom if you wish-I did on the XVII. One thing I have noticed is that Airfix seem have missed the two filler covers off the top of the fuel tank on the XVII-not sure about the XII.

I'm sure others will be along to clarify and develop some of these points.

HTH and good luck
p.s -how about converting the spare wing to single radiator configuration plus Airfix Mk 1 body for a Seafire Mk II/Mk III.
  Huh
jonbius

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »

Hi DF1! Thanks for the kind words, and for visiting the site. Smiley

You can see the Seafire XVII I built here: https://picasaweb.google.com/jonbius/Airfix148SeafireXVII

Thanks for that additional information. I've actually contacted Airfix, and plan on buying some spares from them for the additional radiators, catapult spools and hooks, and extra rudders as needed. (Assuming the cost is not too bad...)

The locking nuts should be fairly easy- I have a set of "grainers" that punch in circular shaped indents, exactly like the ones found on Spitfire models! It's a real handy set. A friend in the UK picked it up for me, as I could not find any here in the US. It has different sizes, so I'll be able to match them perfectly.

For the A-frame XV, I will use the XII rudder.

I won't worry to much about the depth of the body. I'm generally an OOB builder, and don't spend much if any time on corrections.

I've built the Airfix 1/48 Seafire III, which is their Vb with a new "c" wing, as well as parts to make a Seafire III. The "c" wing has recessed panel lines, so the old fuselage needs to be scribed to match.  (You can see it here: https://picasaweb.google.com/jonbius/Airfix148SeafireIII)

Special Hobby also has a Seafire II & III kitted, though having just finished the Classic Airframes Mk. Vc (which is the same mold) I much prefer the Airfix kit. Though the Classic Airframes kit looked better in terms of accuracy, it's fit was the worst Spitfire I've ever built (I've built almost 40 in the last 4 years). I have the Special Hooby Seafire III in the stash, so when I do build it I will know better how to tackle it now.

Here are pics of the Classic Airframes Vc I completed just last night. (https://picasaweb.google.com/jonbius/ClassicAirframes148SpitfireMkVc)

For a Seafire I, I'd likely opt for the Tamiya Vb, and just add this set of details from Ultracast. (http://ultracast.ca/products/Model%20Design%20Construction/48%20Scale%20Aircraft/CV48023/default.htm) Actually, all of those parts would be simple enough to scratch build.

The 1/48 Airfix Mk. IX also comes with the Vc wing in the box for some reason, so if you know someone who has that kit and can spare the wing, you could mate that with their Mk. I certainly. I'm not sure why Airfix has not already done so. I've built the IX twice, and both times gave away the wings to folks building either a Vc or a Seafire.

Thanks again for the extra information! That helps greatly!

----------------------
Jon Bius
Editor/Publisher
AgapeModels.com
DF1

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »

Blimey Jon that was a fast reply Smiley

-checked your Spec Hobb/Airfix models-geat stuff. We are clearly a pair of Seafire junkies. I have started one Special Hobby and fit certainly seems to 'require some care'. I mistakenly glued the cockpit interior to both fuselage sides before fitting the wing. This seems to 'pinch' the fuselage leaving a gap at the wing joint so I am 'getting round to solving this by freeing the cokpit from one fuselage side and regluing after the wing is fitted (is it just me or does this kit look remarkably like the Tamiya?).

Is the spare wing in the Mk IX the single radiator one from the Mk VC?

Finally regarding the Mk XVII it seems to me that the engraving on the folding wing (which I have built in extended form) seems to have much finer engraving than the 'extended' wing. If I have a criticism of Airfix it is their rather heavy handed scribing-hopefully this may be a sign of better things.
Best
David
jonbius

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

-checked your Spec Hobb/Airfix models-geat stuff. We are clearly a pair of Seafire junkies. I have started one Special Hobby and fit certainly seems to 'require some care'. I mistakenly glued the cockpit interior to both fuselage sides before fitting the wing. This seems to 'pinch' the fuselage leaving a gap at the wing joint so I am 'getting round to solving this by freeing the cokpit from one fuselage side and regluing after the wing is fitted (is it just me or does this kit look remarkably like the Tamiya?).

Thanks for the kind words!

The problem I had was that the bulkheads seemed engineered to fit without the cockpit sidewalls in place. I literally had to slice out parts of the sidewwall, and sand the bulkheads way down, to get it to fit.

Oddly, I actually had to add a small spreader ahead of the forward bulkhead, as that was too narrow to meet the wings. And I had to shim the wing join!

Is the spare wing in the Mk IX the single radiator one from the Mk VC?

Yes, it is. Can't recall if the narrow oil cooler is included. I'll see if I have some old sprue pics.

Finally regarding the Mk XVII it seems to me that the engraving on the folding wing (which I have built in extended form) seems to have much finer engraving than the 'extended' wing. If I have a criticism of Airfix it is their rather heavy handed scribing-hopefully this may be a sign of better things.

Funny, I actually like the deeper panel lines. I like to have the wash pop-out a bit.... I guess I fall into the "modeling as art" camp more than the "modeling for realism" side of things. True, if they're too deep it can be odd. Still, I like "too deep" versus "too shallow", personally. Though I will admit I am a bit odd as a modeler. Smiley

I am certainly a Spitfire/Seafire fan. I generally have at least two or three going at any given time. Folks ask if I tire of building them, but I actually do not. In fact, sometimes if I am building something else, I find myself hurrying through a build so I can get to a Spitfire or Seafire! Smiley

----------------------
Jon Bius
Editor/Publisher
AgapeModels.com
BradM

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:56:40 AM »

Hi There,

Since the Seafire XV had the retractable tail wheel, had did you accomplish this ?

TIA

Brad
jonbius

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »

Hi There,

Since the Seafire XV had the retractable tail wheel, had did you accomplish this ?

TIA

Brad

Hey Brad,

Because the Mk. XII was made up of several other airframe types already ordered, some of which had retractable tailwheels. Airfix molded the Mk. XII kit with areas to be cut out if one makes the retractable tail wheel version. One of the aircraft you can build with the kit, EB-B, had a retractable tail wheel.

This photo actually shows both types together:
http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6070

Kind of cool! Smiley

----------------------
Jon Bius
Editor/Publisher
AgapeModels.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length