?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Poll
Question: Spitfire VB RFD/EN951 - HELP! - need guidance for External Radio wiring
Jan Zumbach EN951 details - 0 (0%)
jgf  jgjh gj jk - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire VB - RFD/EN951 (Jan Zumbach 303 Squadron)  (Read 13410 times)
JULES

« on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Hi, I am trying to build an accurate 1/24 model of SPITFIRE VB - RFD / EN951 (Jan Zumbach 303 Squadron/Northolt 1942? - my question is the EXTERNALLY VISIBLE radio wiring specific to that registration? - is it (a) Nil  (b) Radio mast to tail (c)  As "b" with additional wires from elevator ends to mid way on fuselage (both sides). Very confusing as most photographs show the "Battle of Britain flight" Spitfire decked out as RFD. + there seem to be 3 variants with different 'Donald Duck' mascots to boot! - Any help appreciated.  Regards, JULES
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »

RF-D had the radio mast, but it contained a (short) VHF aerial, so there was no wire to the rudder.
The two fuselage-to-tailplane aerials were part of the I.F.F. system, on a different circuit. It's impossible to say if the aerials would have been left in place, since one would suspect that they could constitute a hazard to any erk working around the aircraft, and the I.F.F. radio had an explosive charge fitted to it, which could be set off by a hefty shock (i.e. a crash,) as well as the detonator buttons in the cockpit. Any tug on the aerials could possibly have dislodged the transmitter, with fairly nasty results, and they were only kept tensioned by bunjee cords.
It might take some finding, now, but there's a booklet, written by Wojtek Matusiak, entitled "Zumbach's Donalds, Model Detail Photo Monograph No.5" which has an ISBN of 83-916229-5-9; it includes some colour photos of two of his "Donalds" and even has details of the special rear-view mirror, which Zumbach had fitted.
Edgar
Antoni

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

EN951 was the last of three RF*D's flown by Zumbach during his third tour of duty with 303 Squadron. It definitely had the IFF wires running from the tailpalne to the fuselage when it was photographed, both in colour and black and white,  in late September 1942.   NB. There was a thin white stripe behind the yellow prop tips separated from them by a black stripe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length