?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: March 1993 'Aeroplane Monthly' - French Mk. IX replica, engine running.......  (Read 2211 times)
mmatthej1

« on: November 15, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

I have recently got about 40-years stock of this magazine into date order, prior to disposal (any offers?!) - before they go, I'm re-reading them all and very interesting they still are, in terms of the historical articles still being valid.

I'm now up to March 1993 and see an article in the 'Grapevine' (news) section, referring to a replica all-wooden Mk.IX having been built by J.P.Dubois at Rheims-Prunay airfield, in France. At time of writing, it was undergoing test running of its Hispano-Suiza 12Xcrs V-12 engine and a picture shows it tethered down at the tail to a large metal girder!

Now... when I come to look it up on the internet (as has been my practice, when I've seen an interesting aircraft and wanted to know 'where is it now'), I can find no trace or lead to its current whereabouts/fate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
DazDaMan

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »

It flew for a number of years with the Hispano until it was decided that it simply wasn't powerful enough.  An Allison engine was installed in its place, resulting in an altered nose profile.

It was also repainted a couple of times, and now flies in the markings of the Polish Fighting Team, attached to 145 Squadron.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length