?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identifying Spitfire in photo  (Read 3010 times)
Grant Hutchison

« on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:37 AM »

I've been looking through a wartime photo-album belonging to my late father.
I know he flew with with 135 Squadron in Burma, 152 Squadron in Singapore, and then briefly with 129 Squadron in Lubeck and Church Fenton before demobilizing. Between the photos from his time in Thunderbolts with 135 and in Spitfires with 152, there are some photos labelled "Fighter Leader/Gunnery Course, Bhopal 1945". Among these photos is one marked "An old 'Spit' at Bhopal." Here is a scan of the photo.
This photo seems not to have been printed from the same roll as the other photos on the Bhopal pages (there are differences in tone and it lacks the white border that's present on the other photos). The Spitfire in the picture doesn't have SEAC markings, and the squadron letters look like "DV" - so I wonder if this is a 129 Squadron Spitfire (Mark VI?) that has become mixed in with the Bhopal photos and has subsequently been mislabelled. But that would be a very odd mistake for my father to make, given his knowledge and interest.
So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm my identification, or alternatively put me right on how this Spitfire might have turned up in Bhopal in 1945.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:34:59 AM by Grant Hutchison » Logged
Johne

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »

I am pretty sure this is Mk IX MJ353. It arrived in 129 Squadron i May 1945.

John Engelsted
Grant Hutchison

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

I am pretty sure this is Mk IX MJ353. It arrived in 129 Squadron i May 1945.
Thanks for this! That would certainly fit with the visible numbers on the tail. I've tried fiddling with the contrast on the scan, but haven't been able to make out the full aircraft code.
The only reason I queried a Mk VI was because I can sometimes convince myself there's a pointed wingtip on the photo; but then again the squadron letters seem to be partially obscured at their lower edges which would suggest that the wingtip continues beyond the "point" I sometimes think I can see.

My father was with 129 Squadron during the summer of 1946, so your identification would work nicely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length