?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the MK.XII have wingtip lights?  (Read 3146 times)
Sopwith8

Email
« on: November 19, 2011, 03:20:04 AM »

Hello:
    I am trying to determine if the clipped wingtips used on the Spit XII had red/green lights, or not. My sources differ, and I've found that it's impossible to tell from photos if there are lights there or not. I've been through books, looked at photos online, and etc. The Supermarine Spitfire, Part 2: Griffon Powered by Robert Humphreys, seems to indicate there were no wingtip lights. I can't find this addressed in Spitfire: The History by Morgan & Shacklady.

Most modern illustrations I've seen show wingtip lights. Modellers seem divided, judging from the Spit XII models I've seen online: some show the lights, others just solid clipped wingtips. I'm not taking anything for granted, as the Spit was so full of surprises. Does anyone out there have any solid info about this? Anyone have the Mk. XII pilot's notes, for instance? Or point me towards a reliable reference on the topic? I'd be much obliged to you!

Patrick
Edgar Brooks

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »

The Pilot's Notes show a "Navigation lights switch" in the top LH corner of the instrument panel, but the first clipped wingtips, for the Vb, were carved from solid wood, and had no lamps, while the later, custom-built, tips had lights, and took several hours to fit.
Drawing 36636 sht 11, which is the cable identification label, to be pasted into the fuse box cover, lists cable 22 as starboard nav. light, 23 as tail nav. light, and 24 as port light plus pressure head, so, from that, the aircraft should have had them. One of the biggest problems is that, on many aircraft, the bulbs were coloured, while the covers were clear, and are difficult to make out against the tip/yellow l/e band. On the walk-round photos of MB882, pulling one photo up in enlargement shows a pale "thing" on the corner of the tip, which could be a clear cover.
Edgar
Sopwith8

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »

Edgar:
    Hmmmm, very interesting! I was just about to conclude the XII didn't have the lights, so this is most helpful!
 Cheesy
Much obliged, Patrick
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length