?

The Spitfire Site

A Tribute to Britains Finest Fighter

» Forums Home  |  » The Spitfire Site

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Schoolboys war  (Read 2606 times)
Canberra Man

Email
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »

Hi.
I was 9 years old when the war started. All schools closed down, teachers would group a few children at a house and keep theings rolling.  It took three months for the government to realise that education had to go on, so schools reopened. Boo! At age eleven we moved on the senior school, by now air raids were frequent and we spent some time in long brick shelters but the school was still there when we came out!! One night, our old school was bombed and 2 teachers were killed night watching.  For some reason. Grimsby was chosen to be deluged by the Butterfly bomb.  Quite a few people including many children were killed. Because the effects were kept secret, the Germans had no feed back and did not drop any more.  At 14, I left school and had a temp job as a Naval Messenger at the Grimsby Naval Base, HMS Beaver.  An amusing one was, we were stood outside the Fleet Mail Office and a frigate was coming out of the harbour on patrol, there was a lot of signalling between the Captains Bridge and the frigate and I asked a Petty Officer what was going on, he watched the signals and said " There was an air raid last night and Kittywake was asking the bridge if any mines were laid, the bridge answered we'll soon find out, your first out!" I was called up for National Service in 1948, I wanted the RAF, they werent taking any and I ended up in the Royal Artillery on 3.7 Ack |Ack.  Three months after demob, I was in the Royal Air Force, trained as Electrical Fitter and was posted to 617 Squadron (The Dam Busters) worked on Avro Lincolns (The Lancasters big brother) and then the Canberra which we took to Malaya for 6 months. Was in the food industry for 30 years. Air Cadets as a Warrant Officer for 27 years, received the Cadet Forces Long Service Medal and Clasp and the Commandant Commendation.  Now at 81, well retired and help my wonderful wife breeding miniatur poodles.

Ken   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length